Its first firehouse was the Manchester Academy Building on York St., being used at the time as a high school. It was located in front of the present Manchester Elementary School. Five years later in 1898, the Gardner Building, the present site of the company at 3209 Main Street, was purchased for $725. After approximately $350 worth of repairs, the new fire hall was dedicated on Sept. 2, 1899. That same year, the first hand-drawn chemical engine, which used a foam-like substance to extinguish fires, and a horse-drawn ladder wagon were painted white and striped in blue and gold.