The Westminster Police Department received two reports of “distraction” thefts at businesses on Saturday, May 29.
During these thefts, two males reportedly enter the businesses and one suspect distracts the employee while the other enters a restricted area, according to a news release from WPD.
In one case, a rear door was propped open and reentry was made to commit the theft. In the other case, the other suspect immediately committed the theft. Both incidents resulted in significant thefts.
The Westminster Police Department is asking businesses to take the following precautions to avoid such distraction thefts.
· Take steps to limit access to restricted areas of the business.
· Secure valuables and cash in a safe.
· Secure interior doors that are not intended for customer use.
· Conduct routine checks of emergency exit doors.
· Immediately call 91 to report suspicious behavior.
Latest Carroll County News
Anyone with information regarding the identity of the two individual or concerning the incidents are asked to contact WPD at 410-848-4646 or confidentially at 410-857-8477 or by texting 847411 keyword TIPWPD.