The cooling center at the Westminster Senior and Community Center opened Friday, July 3 and will be open Saturday, July 4 as the forecast calls for excessive heat.
The cooling center is operated by the Carroll County Department of Citizen Services and the Human Services Program of Carroll County (HSP) and people who are vulnerable to extreme heat and who do not have air-conditioning in their homes are encouraged to cool off there.
The address of the center is 125 Stoner Ave., Westminster and the hours are 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Access to air conditioning and water will be available for those who need them.
Carroll County Emergency Management encourages people to keep safety in mind when the temperature and humidity are high. They recommend:
- Slow down. Strenuous activities should be reduced or rescheduled to the coolest time of the day.
- Wear loose, lightweight, and light-colored clothing.
- Eat less protein and more fruits and vegetables, and drink plenty of water.
- Stay in air-conditioned buildings or rooms, and limit time outside if possible
- For additional information, visit the Carroll County Health Department website.