New housing vouchers available for non-elderly disabled people

As of Monday, Oct. 15, non-elderly people living with a disability in an institutional setting, or with their families or caregivers are able to apply for housing vouchers to help them transition to independent living in the community.

Carroll County Housing and Community Development, the public housing authority for Carroll County, has received $184,296 in funds from the U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development in the form of 22 housing vouchers to help pay the rent for qualified individuals seeking permanent housing, according to Bureau Chief of Housing and Community Connections Danielle Yates, who said the office began taking referrals at 8 a.m. Monday.


“These are vouchers that are going to provide assistance to non-elderly disabled persons with disabilities who are transitioning out of institutional or other segregated settings,” Yates said.

Non-elderly means people ages 18 through 61, according to Yates.

“We work a lot with the Bureau of Aging and Disabilities on a program called the medical waiver program,” she said. “You have individuals who could be quadriplegics, or for some reason they have a long-term disability where they may be in an assisted living facility because they need the extra care.”

These new vouchers could help those individuals who wish to move out of an institutional setting to do say, Yates said, in conjunction with case management and care, such as might be provided by area nonprofit agencies like Change Inc., Target Community & Educational Services, Inc., and others.

“They are our partners we are working to reach out to these individuals who will qualify for these vouchers,” she said. “They provide those additional case management supports and instead of them being in an adult day care program, they can live independently.”

Those applying for the vouchers must also qualify for the regular housing choice voucher program, also known as Section 8, according to Yates.

“They are part of our housing choice voucher program, so based on our criteria that we have, we pay a subsidy or a portion of an individuals rent to the landlord. That’s what this money supports,” she said. “Even with the amount of individuals that we assist now in our program, 52 percent of the people that we help with housing choice vouchers are disabled.”

Carroll County Housing & Community Development began accepting referrals at 8 a.m. on Oct. 15, on a first-come, first-served basis, so those interested, or who have questions, should call 410-386-3600. They may also email Yates at or Paul Moffett at