Hazmat crews, local fire companies called after chemical incident at Carroll Community College

Carroll Community College was evacuated for about two hours Tuesday and approximately 40 firefighters were dispatched after a chemical incident.

The fire alarm went off on the third floor of the K Building, where the science lab is located, around 3:40 p.m. after some ammonium chloride overheated, said Alan Schuman, executive vice president of administration for the college.

Advertisement

The main building of the college was reopened around 5:45 p.m. though the K Building remained closed for the rest of the night, and classes in the building were canceled for the night, said Trish Carroll, public and corporate relations officer for the college.

Carroll said the ammonium chloride overheated in a classroom, creating fumes and smoke, and triggering the fire alarm. Students were immediately evacuated, she said.

Robin Stansbury, a public information officer for the Reese Volunteer Fire Company, said buildings were evacuated and power was shut off to the college so the Carroll County Hazardous Materials Team could investigate and ventilate the building.

The chemical was isolated and when the hazmat team went in to check the building, no trace of it was found, he said.

Ivan Browning, the hazmat team leader, said the team entered the building in fully encapsulated hazmat suits. The team did metered readings in the classroom, hallway and K Building, and found no levels of the chemical, Carroll said.

"We have full confidence that the situation had been mitigated," she said.

There were no injuries as a result of the incident.



Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement