In 1913, the Just Government League of Carroll County, a women's suffrage group, was formed to fight for women's right to vote in the state. The group initially consisted of 11 women, and after an initial meeting in the Opera House in Westminster, the group began to travel across the county, holding meetings in Taneytown, Uniontown, New Windsor, Sandymount and Sykesville. Members included Westminster High School principal Charles Kolb and Dr. O. E. Tiffany of Western Maryland College. Together the group handed out literature and petitioned president Woodrow Wilson. By the end of their first year, the group had grown to 89 members. Despite the group's efforts, it wasn't until the ratification of the 19th Amendment in 1920 that Carroll women were granted the right to vote.