Advertisement
Carroll County Times

Holiday tours continue at Farm Museum despite small fire Tuesday morning

No one was injured and no artifacts were damaged in a chimney fire at the Carroll County Farm Museum Tuesday morning, but county staff is still unsure of the extent of the damage the fire caused to one of the museum's buildings.

Jeff Degitz, administrator for Carroll County Recreation and Parks, said a woodstove was burning in the log cabin used for Santa visits at the Farm Museum during the annual holiday tour season Tuesday morning when some sparks, believed to have escaped the chimney through a crack, ignited in the attic area and on the roof.

Advertisement

"Thankfully, due to a very quick response from the Westminster and Pleasant Valley [fire companies], they got the fire under control, put it out, and there is some damage to the building but we'll be able to repair those, I believe," Degitz said.

While the log cabin is sometimes used as a storage area for museum's materials and artifacts, everything had been cleared out before the holiday tours started Dec. 5.

Advertisement

"So that was a plus - nothing lost to water or smoke damage," Degitz said. "Everything considered, it went as well as it could."

The chimney and roof will definitely need repairs, he said, and visually the logs seem to be in good shape, but the full extent of the damage will not be known until the attic area is more closely inspected.

"Christmas tours will continue uninterrupted, and Santa will still be on the grounds and looking forward to his many visitors," Degitz said.

The Farm Museum's holiday tour runs through Sunday, open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays and 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on the weekend. For more information, call 410-386-3880.


Advertisement