BALTIMORE - For 17 years, linebacker Ray Lewis was at the center of organized chaos on the football field.

Linemen grappled in front of him. Defensive backs sprinted behind him.

Just two days after winning Super Bowl XLVII in his final game, Lewis, the longtime vocal leader of the Ravens defense, found himself in the middle of a crazy melee once more.

While surrounded by police on horseback and delirious cheering fans who rushed past overwhelmed security, Lewis stood in a National Guard Humvee and soaked in the atmosphere during the Super Bowl victory parade Tuesday through the streets of Baltimore.

Lewis was in the parade's final vehicle, a journey that started at City Hall and ended at M&T Bank Stadium.

Several Ravens players spoke to thousands of cheering supporters in front of City Hall, Lewis included.

"This is two [titles] for me," Lewis said while thousands of fans roared their approval. "The city of Baltimore, I love you forever."

All of the prominent Ravens were there. A weary Joe Flacco, who appeared in a Walt Disney World parade in Orlando just 24 hours prior, got his own Humvee to ride in.

So did Ed Reed, who sang Eddie Money's "Two Tickets to Paradise" and grasped the shiny silver Vince Lombardi Super Bowl Trophy for all to see prior to the parade.

Ravens wide receiver Anquan Boldin eventually got his hands on the Super Bowl trophy. He clutched it tightly and took the daring step of walking the parade route bringing hundreds of fans within a few feet of the Super Bowl trophy. He was surrounded by dancing spectators, some of whom had overturned barriers and decided to make themselves part of the parade.

Baltimore City Police did not stop them.

The scene was particularly wild around Lewis' float. Six police on horseback needed to escort his Humvee. Otherwise the group of fans who sprinted into the parade route wouldn't have let the vehicle pass.

Lewis, seemingly oblivious to the chaos, raised his hands out to the side, looked skyward and laughed as his ride approached Camden Yards.

The entire parade route was surrounded by fans wearing purple and black standing behind barriers and taking advantage of the rare chance to snap photos and videos of their favorite players.

They brought Ray Lewis Fat Heads, Ray Lewis jerseys and Ray Lewis signs. And they cheered loudest when he appeared, albeit obscured somewhat.

"We saw everybody we wanted to see," said Pam Lloyd, of Lutherville, who brought her sons Bryce, 9, and Blake, 6, to see the parade. "The only one that was tough to see was Ray. He had lots of horses and people around him by the time he went past us."

Lloyd said she let her children have the day off from school so they could enjoy the parade.

She wasn't the only parent who made that choice. The Maryland Transit Authority Metro Subway was full of young Ravens fans accompanied by their parents.

Joey Linn, a seventh-grader at Mount Airy Middle, was in the middle of the fray.

"I could not possibly let him miss this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," said his mother, Kris Blais.

Reed, a pending free agent, suggested fans might get another possibility for such a party in the not-too-distant future. He said Flacco told him the Ravens would repeat as champions next year.

If so, they will do so without Lewis, who is moving on to become an ESPN analyst. He departed in grand style Tuesday before thousands of cheering fans.

"We promised you that we were going to New Orleans for one thing," Lewis said, "and we got it."