The big event on Cupid's big day might be Carroll Community College's presentation of "Sweethearts and Scoundrels," but that is only the beginning to a full weekend of activities local couples might find interesting:
- Couples who enjoy foreign films can catch the Danish movie "Love is All you Need" starring Pierce Brosnan at 1 or 7:30 p.m. Friday. Film Lovers in Carroll County is screening the movie as part of its month-long Foreign Film Festival at the Carroll Arts Center, 91 W. Main St., Westminster. Tickets are $6; $5 for members, seniors and students. Call 410-848-7272 for more information.
- Art and nature lovers can get a twofer at the Cabin Fever Art Show at Piney Run Park and Nature Center Saturday. Fine arts and crafts by local artists will be showcased from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the nature center located at 30 Martz Road in Sykesville. Admission is $1 and proceeds are used to help support Piney Run Park Recreation and Conservation Council. For more information, call 410-795-6043.
- For parents in need of a little couple time, the city of Westminster has child care covered from 5 to 8:30 p.m. Saturday at Longwell Municipal Center (Old Armory), 11 Longwell Ave., Westminster. Kids will play games, make crafts and eat pizza with trained caregivers while mom and dad get a chance to hit the town. There are still slots available for children ages 3 to 13, but registration is required. Call 410-848-9161 or sign up online at apm.activecommunities.com/westminstercityrec. The cost is $16 for the first child and $6 for each additional child from the same household.
- McDaniel College Dance Team will host a Performing Arts Festival from 7 to 9 p.m. Saturday at the college's WMC Alumni Hall at 2 College Hill in Westminster. A variety of performances by dancers, singers, actors and musical ensembles are scheduled. Tickets are $7; $5 for students.
- Those who want to get funky for Valentine's weekend shouldn't miss Sister Sparrow and the Dirty Birds, presented by Snail Pie Lounge, at 8 p.m. Saturday at the Carroll Arts Center. The group is described as an eight-piece powerhouse of seductive soul and dirty blues-rock led by Arleigh Kincheloe (aka Sister Sparrow). The most recent of the group's three albums, "Fight," was produced by Randy Jackson of "American Idol" fame. Advance tickets are $25; $27 at the door. For more information, call 410-848-7272 or visit http://www.carrollcountyartscouncil.org.
- Share the love at the Agriculture Center Sunday at a family-friendly event to benefit the therapeutic riding program at The Retreat at Beckleysville. The Retreat Round-Up takes place from 2 to 5 p.m. and includes a flea market of tack and equipment, children's activities and entertainment and a model horse show. The artfully decorated model horses will also be sold in a silent auction. The center is located at 706 Agriculture Center Drive, Westminster. Admission is free.
- For those who love the Big Band sounds of the 1930s through the 1950s, The Gettysburg Big Band wraps the weekend up nicely. The group performs at 3 p.m. Sunday at the Carroll Arts Center. Tickets are $14; $12 for members, seniors and students. Call 410-848-7272 for details.