The Historical Society of Mount Airy has announced its inductees into the Mount Airy Hall of Fame for 2013.
The honorees are: John W. "Jack" Devault, Beverly G. Green, Ray A. Grimes, Angela B. "Angie" Moore and Dr. Lyndon B. "Doc" Myers.
The 2013 class will be officially inducted at the Historical Society of Mount Airy's annual Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony and Dinner on March 19 at the American Legion home, 801 Prospect Road, Mount Airy.
The social hour begins at 5:30 p.m., followed by a buffet dinner at 6:30 p.m. and the induction ceremony.
Tickets will be on sale through March 5. The price is $22 per person.
Tickets may be purchased from Dennis Ahalt at New Windsor State Bank, 1001 Twin Arch Road, and from Mary or Kathy at Mount Airy Town Hall, 110 St. Main St., Mount Airy. Call 410-795-6012 for more information.
This marks the 14th anniversary of the Mount Airy Hall of Fame.
John W. "Jack" Devault
Dec. 22, 1929-Oct. 19, 2012
John W. "Jack" Devault was a native of Cumberland. After graduating from Allegany High School, he spent four years in the U.S. Navy during the Korean War aboard the USS Coral Sea. In 1958 he received his Bachelor of Science degree from Frostburg State Teachers College and in 1963 he earned his Master of Arts in education from George Washington University.
He began his teaching career in 1959 at Mount Airy Junior High School. He taught math, social studies and physical education, and served as guidance counselor. He transferred to Westminster Junior High School in 1963 as the school's guidance counselor. In 1965 he was appointed vice principal of Westminster Junior High School and in 1966 was appointed vice principal in charge of administration at Mount Airy Senior High School. In 1967 Devault was appointed principal of Mount Airy Elementary School. In 1968 he opened the first middle school in Carroll County. He remained principal of Mount Airy Middle School until his retirement in July 1990.
Devault was an active member of Calvary United Methodist Church, where he taught senior high school Sunday school and was Senior Methodist Youth Fellowship leader. He was a mentor for confirmation classes, greeter and usher, and served on various committees. He also was responsible for setting up Communion for the 8 a.m. worship service.
He was a member of Mount Airy American Legion Gold Star Post 191 and past president and treasurer of the Mount Airy Kiwanis Club.
He was a life member of the Maryland State Teachers Association, a member of the State and National Association of Secondary School Principals, and past president of the Carroll County Teachers Association.
Devault coached Mount Airy Little League baseball as well as women's softball. The first season the Ridge Swim Club opened in Mount Airy, he was the manager.
He is survived by his wife of 60 years, Juanita; daughters and sons-in-law Diane and Michael Hughes and Cheryl and Stephen Smith; granddaughter Sara Smith and grandson David Hughes.
Beverly G. Green, who was born in Hyattsville, moved to the Mount Airy area at the age of 5. She is a 1949 graduate of Lisbon High School. Her working career began at Fort Detrick in Frederick. While working she met her husband Roland, who was a staff sergeant in the U.S. Air Force.
She and Roland were married May 19, 1952. They had two children, daughter Karen and son Brian.
Green started volunteering at the Mount Airy senior center in 1993. She is proud of the Project Linus program which provides handmade blankets for children in trauma situations. She started a local chapter in 2002, and she and her crafters donate more than 30 blankets each month to hospitals throughout the area. Since 1996, she has chaired a quilt raffle to benefit the Mount Airy Senior Center and Community Center. This raffle has netted more than $50,000 for use at the senior center.
In 2003 Green founded the center's Women with Hattitude chapter of the Red Hat Society and was the queen mother for five years.
She has been the president of the Fifty-Five-Plus Club for 18 years, planning and leading day trips and long-term trips for seniors of the Mount Airy area. This club is 140-people strong and has had a waiting list for membership for many years. The club is also a giving group. Every December, the membership donates a large number of new Christmas toys to Toys for Tots. Each month, club members donate food to Mount Airy Net and school supplies for children in the Mount Airy area.
Green was recognized as an Outstanding Senior Volunteer in Carroll County in 2005. She continues to be an active member of the Mount Airy Senior and Community Center.
Ray A. Grimes
Sept. 1, 1926-March 30, 2007
Ray A. Grimes was born and raised on a farm just outside of Mount Airy. He graduated from Mount Airy High School in the Class of 1943. He spent two years in the U.S. Navy. When he returned to Mount Airy from the service, he married his high school sweetheart, Martha Hood. She was killed in a tragic automobile accident in August 1957.
Grimes went into business with Martha's father, Chester, at the coal, feed and hatchery store on Main Street. They renamed the business Hood and Grimes Fuel and Feed and provided 24-hour service, no matter the weather. The business was sold to Griffith Consumer Company and made a division of that company. Ray Grimes and his brother Donald co-owned the Mount Airy ESSO. The businesses provided many local residents with their employment for more than 50 years.
Ray Grimes was a charter member of the Mount Airy Rod and Gun Club, which was organized in 1947. He worked hard for this organization and stayed active until his death.
Grimes was an avid scouter and was scoutmaster of Troop 460 for 15 years. Many of the town's children were in his troop and enjoyed their time as well as learning life skills. His Scout troop benefited from his involvement with the Mount Airy Rod and Gun Club. He was instrumental in getting permission for the land across the road to be leased and made into a Scout camp, Winding Trails. This camp is still used today, serving Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts throughout the region.
Grimes was elected to the town council from 1966-1972. One of the council's main achievements was the expansion of the town water and sewer system. He was always concerned about his town and its image.
He was a member of the Mount Airy fire company for more than 25 years.
He was the father of four children: Linda, Larry, Judy and Joanne. He married Mary Gladhill and blended their families. They moved to South Mountain in 1970 and started a Christmas tree farm and Charolais cattle operation. They resided there until his death in 2007. Mary is still managing the Christmas tree operation that he started and loved so much.
Grimes was a lifelong member of Calvary United Methodist Church in Mount Airy.
Angela B. "Angie" Moore was born and raised in Mount Airy and has lived her entire life there. She attended Mount Airy Elementary and Middle schools, and graduated from South Carroll High School in 1985 as class salutatorian. She graduated magna cum laude with a bachelor's degree in economics from University of Maryland Baltimore County in 1989.
She married her high school sweetheart, Bob, in 1990. After working 11 years as an internal auditor for Fox Automotive, she "retired" to raise her three children: Elizabeth, Daniel and Charlotte.
She began attending Kiwanis Club of Mount Airy weekly meetings with her father in 1982, to accompany their group singing on the piano. She was one of the first two females to become members in 1988. She has chaired their semiannual pancake breakfast for 21 years, and served as club treasurer for 20 years. She assisted in forming a Key Club at Linganore High School in 2010, and serves as the Kiwanis adviser to that group.
Moore is a lifelong member of Calvary United Methodist Church and has served as accompanist for the Cherubs, Calvary Singers and Youth Choir at various times since 1982.
She volunteers at each of her children's schools. She has chaired the General Mills Box Tops and Safeway eScrip programs at Twin Ridge Elementary School since 2007 and at Windsor Knolls Middle School since 2011. These earn several thousand dollars each year for the PTA and the schools, and involve processing more than 40,000 box tops per year. She serves on the staff appreciation committee at Linganore High School. She also has assisted at the media centers in various schools.
She served on the Mount Airy Centennial Celebration Committee in the early '90s and is a member of the Historical Society of Mount Airy.
Both of her parents, A. Wayne Norwood (Class of 2004) and Patricia T. Norwood (Class of 2007), are members of the Mount Airy Hall of Fame.
Dr. Lyndon B. "Doc" Myers was born in Coatesville, Pa. He was a graduate of the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy in Baltimore, in the Class of 1932. He came to Mount Airy from Glen Rock, Pa., in 1937 to manage Routzahn's Drug Store that was on Main Street. On Sept. 9, 1938 Myers purchased the business from Grace Routzahn and renamed it Myers Drug Store.
Mount Airy was a bustling little town in the '40s, '50s and '60s. Like most of the business owners of the day, Myers opened the store in the morning and closed it at night. He was a mentor to many young people who had obtained their first job of working behind the soda fountain. Health needs were tended to and the problems of the day were solved behind the drug counter as the store's regular customers came and went every day. Myers loved his profession and his association with his clients and customers.
He married Mary Lawyer Myers in 1939. They were the parents of six children: Mary Lynn, Lyndon (Sonny), Martha Jane, Becky Sue, Sally and Polly. After Becky was born in 1947 with Down syndrome, they searched for a way to provide educational opportunities and a future for the developmentally disabled. At that time, it was the acceptable practice for children to be institutionalized.
The Myerses visited several facilities before deciding to keep Becky with the family and explore other options. Doc and Mary worked tirelessly with families of disabled children and formed the Carroll County Association for Retarded Children in 1955.
The couple were also instrumental in the organization and support of Carroll Haven or Change, as it is known today. It opened in 1969 serving both children and adults. Today, Change provides educational and vocational opportunities for those with special needs.
He was a member of St. Mary's Lutheran Church in Silver Run, the Maryland Pharmaceutical Association, the National Association of Retail Druggists, and the American Pharmaceutical Association.
Doc joins his wife Mary Lawyer Myers from the Class of 2010 as a member of the Mount Airy Historical Society's Hall of Fame.