Many prominent buildings, schools parks and facilities are named after donors or founding organization members that made them possible.
The Times compiled information on several notable namesakes countywide:
Schools and Colleges
The college: In 2002, Western Maryland College was renamed McDaniel College in honor of William McDaniel. He devoted nearly his entire life to the college, serving as a professor, treasurer and vice president.
Ward Memorial Arch: It was donated in memory of James Ward, the college's founding president, by his niece, Ulie Norment Hurley in 1898, according to "Fearless and Bold: A History of McDaniel College," written by school historian and professor of math emeritus James Lightner.
Gill Center: The athletic complex was named for Robert Joshua Gill, who served as a college trustee and significant donor, Lightner said. Funds from the Gill estate helped pay for the facility.
Gill Stadium: The college's new football stadium project is named after trustee, donor and 1961 alumnus Kenneth Gill. He is not related to Robert Gill. Lightner even tried researching their family trees to see if he could find any ties. He could not.
Baker Memorial Chapel: It was dedicated in 1958. College trustee William Baker gave $5,000 for the construction of the chapel after the successful recovery of his son William, who required surgery in the summer following his 1894 graduation, according to "Fearless and Bold."
Carroll Community College
The Robert A. and Phyllis B. Scott Center for the Fine and Performing Arts: The Scotts donated $700,000 from the sale of their family's farm to help get the college's art center built, President Faye Pappalardo said.
Charles Carroll: The Westminster school is named after Charles Carroll of Carrollton, the county's namesake and a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Elmer Wolfe: The Union Bridge school is, appropriately enough, named after Wolfe, a respected educator from Union Bridge.
Robert Moton: The Westminster school is named after Dr. Moton, who according to the school's history posted online, was an adviser to the White House. After Booker T. Washington's death in 1915, Moton was named his successor as principal of Tuskegee Institute. The school was originally for black students and named for Moton, a black leader, even though he was not from Carroll County.
William Winchester: Winchester settled in Carroll County in 18th century. Originally from England, he founded Westminster in 1764.
Parks and facilities
Mary Lou Dewey Park: The Westminster park is named after Dewey, a longtime Carrol County resident who volunteered at Carroll County libraries for more than five decades and championed for a countywide library system.
Dutterer Family Park: The land for the Westminster park was given by the Dutterer family, which owned the florist shop off Pennsylvania Avenue. It closed earlier this year.
Charlotte's Quest Nature Center: Located within Manchester's Pine Valley Park, the facility was named after Manchester Elementary School teacher Charlotte Collett, who founded the nature center.
The Langdon Family Art Gallery: The Carroll Community College gallery is named after James and Ina Langdon, two long-time Carroll donors. James was a Western Maryland College, now McDaniel College, graduate, a World War II veteran and a founder of The Arc of Carroll County.
Tevis Gallery: The Carroll Arts Center main-floor gallery is named in honor of Dorothy Tevis, who was willing to donate her Westminster home so the Carroll County Arts Council could have a permanent home. When the Arts Council decided to move to a Main Street location instead, she donated to the renovation of the art deco theater facility.
Rotary Amphitheater: The outdoor stage at the college is named after Rotary International, which raised $75,000 for the project. The amphitheater originally opened in 1998.
Latest Carroll County Times
Other notable locations
Charles O. Fisher Medical Building: The Carroll Hospital Center facility was dedicated three years ago in honor of Fisher, who served more than 50 years on the hospital's board of directors and helped raise money to originally build it.
Danele Shipley Arena: Daniel and Eleanor Shipley donated $200,000 to help fund the arena, which is named in honor of their daughter, who was a an active 4-Her. Danele died in 1995.
Hill Family Center Y: Last year, the Y of Central Maryland renamed its Westminster facility off Old Washington Road for Martin K.P. and Kelly W. Hill, longtime Y supporters.