'Rough loss' for Ravens

LANDOVER - Ray Rice barreled through a gaping hole on the left side of the line, crossing the goal line untouched before stopping for a brief moment to playfully flex his left arm at the opposing crowd.

The game appeared to be in hand.

The crowd had quieted, the Ravens led by eight with less than five minutes left in the fourth quarter and the Redskins needed a touchdown and a two-point conversion against a Baltimore defense that had stiffened after some early struggles.

But, for the second straight week, the Ravens' defense couldn't come up with a decisive stop late.

Washington backup quarterback Kirk Cousins tossed a late touchdown pass and scored a game-tying two-point conversion moments later to force overtime.

And after Baltimore's offense went three-and-out on the first possession of the extra period, Redskins return specialist Richard Crawford broke a 64-yard punt return to set up Kai Fortbath's game-winning 34-yard field goal to lift Washington to a 31-28 victory against the Ravens Sunday afternoon.

"It was a hard, tough and disappointing loss," Baltimore coach John Harbaugh said.

The Ravens led for the majority of the second half, pushing their lead to 28-20 on Rice's 7-yard scoring run with four minutes, 47 seconds left in the fourth quarter. But Robert Griffin III battled through a sprained knee to lead the Redskins into scoring position on their ensuing possession, a drive capped by Cousins' 11-yard scoring pass to Pierre Garcon with 36 seconds remaining.

Cousins ran in for a game-tying two-point conversion moments later.

Cousins replaced the injured Griffin after Griffin had guided Washington to Baltimore's 16-yard line.

In overtime, the Redskins forced a three-and-out on the Ravens' opening possession of the extra period, Crawford returned Sam Koch's punt 64 yards to Baltimore's 24-yard line and Forbath drilled his game-winning field goal just three plays later.

"It's always tough, especially when you think you have the game won," Rice said.

Forbath's kick lifted Washington (7-6) to its fourth straight win and sent Baltimore (9-4) to its second straight defeat on a field goal as time expired.

Just a week earlier, the Ravens blew a 20-13 fourth quarter lead on the Steelers, eventually falling 23-20 on a Shaun Suisham field goal as time ran out.

"It's frustrating," Baltimore wide receiver Torrey Smith. "It's frustrating, especially that it's played out [like that] two weeks in a row. To lose like this, it's very frustrating."

The Ravens had plenty of chances to avoid it.

Each of their five second-half possessions stretched to at least their own 44-yard line - with three advancing into Redskins territory - but the five drives resulted in two turnovers, two punts and just one touchdown.

Flacco finished 16-of-21 for 189 yards with three touchdowns, but had two turnovers during the second half - one fumble and one interception.

His fumble, which came on Baltimore's opening possession of the half, helped set up a Forbath 48-yard field goal that trimmed Washington's deficit to 21-17.

Flacco tossed an interception on the Ravens' ensuing drive with Baltimore facing a third-and-six from the Redskins' 11-yard line.

"The second half, it was probably just turnovers," Flacco said. "We did a good job running the ball. The one probably down in our zone [the fumble] is probably the one that hurt the most on my part. Other than that, I don't think we did too bad of a job.

"We were able to grind some drives. We moved the ball pretty decently, [but] we just weren't able to finish. We had penalties that hurt us early on. We kind of stopped ourselves today more than we did get stopped."

The Ravens finished with 359 yards of total offense and picked up 18 first downs. Flacco had the three scoring passes while Rice and Bernard Pierce combined to rush for 174 yards against the NFL's fourth-ranked rush defense.

But after scoring touchdowns on three of its first four possessions, and building a 21-14 second quarter lead, Baltimore's offense was held without a score on each of its next five drives prior to the fourth quarter march that ended in Rice's 7-yard scoring run.

"We were moving the ball. We just didn't finish," Smith said.

And the Ravens' defense couldn't come up with the stop late.

The group yielded two early touchdowns as Washington jumped out to an early 14-7 lead, but tightened up from there until the Redskins' final drive of regulation when Griffin and Cousins combined to guide Washington 85 yards in 13 plays for the game-tying score.

"They made some plays, made a play, and hats off to them," Ravens safety Ed Reed said. "They played a great game. We played a great game, but just too many mistakes."