Smith pays tribute to fallen brother

Receiver Torrey Smith makes a touchdown catch in front of cornerback Kyle Arrington during the first half of the Ravens' Sunday night game against the New England Patriots at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore.
Receiver Torrey Smith makes a touchdown catch in front of cornerback Kyle Arrington during the first half of the Ravens' Sunday night game against the New England Patriots at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore.(DYLAN SLAGLE/STAFF PHOTO , Carroll County Times)

BALTIMORE - Ravens wide receiver Torrey Smith immediately pointed toward the sky before taking a knee for a brief moment of prayer.

Less than 24 hours following the death of his brother, Smith found himself in the end zone for a Baltimore touchdown.

An emotional moment, his 25-yard second quarter scoring catch helped instill life into a Ravens offense that had been stagnant prior to that.

Hours earlier, it was unclear whether Smith would even play Sunday night.

His younger brother, Tevin Jones, passed away in a motorcycle accident late Saturday in Virginia.

Smith learned of the news early Sunday morning and left for Virginia to tend to his family shortly thereafter.

He returned to Baltimore hours before game-time. And playing with a heavy heart, he played a vital role in helping the Ravens overcome a slow start.

He had the 25-yard touchdown during the second quarter and had two long grabs during Baltimore's first drive of the third quarter, one for 32 yards and one for 11, that set up a 7-yard scoring run by Ray Rice.

Smith finished with six receptions for 127 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

UPSHAW STARTS: Rookie outside linebacker Courtney Upshaw made his second straight at rush linebacker.

Like last week against the Philadelphia Eagles, Upshaw struggled some in pass coverage, but was a presence against the run and provided some pressure on Patriots quarterback Tom Brady as a pass rusher.

He finished with four tackles, including one for a 13-yard loss after he sniffed out a New England reverse.

INACTIVES: Outside linebacker Sergio Kindle and wide receiver LaQuan Williams were among the Ravens' inactives for Sunday's game.

Kindle was active for last week's game against the Philadelphia Eagles, recording one tackle, with fellow outside linebacker Paul Kruger (back) sidelined, but Kruger was back in the lineup Sunday.

Williams, a valuable special teams contributor last year, has been inactive each of the first three games.

Cornerback Asa Jackson, offensive lineman Jah Reid, tight end Billy Bajema, defensive end DeAngelo Tyson and defensive tackle Bryan Hall were also inactive for Baltimore.

ROUGH START: The 13 points scored by the Patriots in the first quarter marked the most scored by any opponent against the Ravens in the first quarter of any home game during the John Harbaugh era.

It could've been even more. The Ravens ran only nine plays from scrimmage, making no first downs and netting just 21 yards.

Their longest play went for 5 yards. The Patriots made one interception and nearly had another. Meanwhile, New England ran 24 plays, gaining 143 yards. The Patriots scored on their final three drives of the quarter, but twice were held to field goals, making it 13-0 going into the second quarter.

REPLACEMENT FOLLIES: It can't be an NFL game without some action from the replacement officials. After last week's Philadelphia Zoo, the action was much tamer.

But, in the first quarter, New England's Julian Edelman was called for an offensive pass interference. Baltimore's Cary Williams benefited from the horrid call.

This week's referee? Bruce Hermansen, a 68-year-old Santa Cruz County (Calif.) high school official, who mistakenly awarded Seattle a fourth second-half timeout two weeks ago.

SUPERHERO FOLLIES: Early in the season, the Orioles were plagued by fans who jumped onto the field, but after the team hired on-field private security, the intrusions ceased. At the first half two-minute warning, a fan wearing only underwear and a cape pranced on the field and delayed the proceedings.

"Don't be a bully. Be a superhero," was painted on his chest.

A phalanx of security officials tackled the offender, who was finally escorted off the field by police.

From a video posted by WJZ-TV, it appeared that the visitor was the same one who taunted Baltimore police on Opening Day at Oriole Park.

Recommended on Baltimore Sun