Dunbar used a dynamic running attack to create a big early lead and rolled to 38-6 victory over South Carroll for the program’s 11th state championship and first since 2017.
- Families flocked to private schools and homeschooling during the 2020-2021 school year when students at the public schools switched back and forth from virtual to hybrid learning due to the pandemic. Private schools in Carroll were offering in-person learning at the time. And some parents decided to take teaching in their own hands.
- Whether it’s beaded jewelry, interior design or her current interest, macramé, art has always been a central part of Leah Wickes’ life.
Images from the Boys & Girls Club of Westminster's annual holiday party held in partnership with McDaniel College Friday, Dec. 3, 2021.
- A hearing is scheduled for Monday as the General Assembly begins a special session to approve new boundaries for the state's congressional districts. Lawmakers are expected to approve a final map within the week.
- Carroll County parents and a local board of education member were mixed on their opinions about how masking policy should move forward in public schools, after a Maryland State Board of Education meeting this week.On Wednesday state school board members voted 12-2 to direct state officials to draft a new emergency mandate for masking in public schools to include “off ramps” to masking requirements in the future. The current emergency regulation requiring mask wearing in all Maryland public schools expires after Feb. 15.
With defeatism flowing from the top, there seems little prospect CCPS will make real progress diversifying its faculty anytime soon, and it is our children who are ultimately paying the price for the Board of Education’s lackadaisical attitude toward the issue.
Wearing a mask indoors in public or around people at high risk is a way we show our care for others, a selfless action we take to help protect our community. We need to relearn and embrace that noble part of our heritage for the good of everyone.
- Dozens of grief-stricken family members gathered Thursday night at Ascension Episcopal Church in Westminster to remember their loved ones who were killed in car crashes during the last 15 years. Through their tears, they lit candles and reminisced about each person who had died, some as a result of drunken drivers.
- The Carroll County Artists’ Studio Tour will take place Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at art studios and galleries located around the county.