A Thurmont boy is recovering from surgery after he was impaled by a stingray barb in a freak accident while on a fishing vacation in North Carolina last month.
Quentin Tokar, 10, is resting at home after Aug. 27 surgery to clean out an abdominal infection, followed by a week's stay at the Johns Hopkins Children's Center, said his mother, Candace.
The family had caught a stingray on a North Carolina pier Aug. 16 when a man tried to remove the barb. It flew through the air, embedding itself in Quentin's chest and striking his liver.
The venom from the barb, which was inside him for three hours, continued to eat Quentin's soft tissue over the past month, his mother said, so surgeons removed part of his abdomen.
He remains on medication and, three days a week, a home nurse has been removing, cleaning and reinserting a "wound vacuum" — a tube that draws fluid through a sponge away from the wound.
"He's still handling everything like a champ," she said. A tutor will start visiting Wednesday, she added.