Woman arrested at Dulles is charged with murder in Maryland

A Maryland woman was arrested and charged with murder after arriving from her flight to Washington Dulles International Airport from Central America on Sunday, U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials announced in a statement.

The woman, Norma Elizabeth Rivas Villacorta, 23, of Riverdale is charged with first- and second-degree murder and related charges in the May 2021 killing of Kayshaun Daly, 20, of Riverdale, Prince George’s County police said.


She is accused of shooting Daly, who was found unresponsive inside a home in the 6700 block of Oakland Avenue in the Riverdale area, police said. He died at the scene. Rivas Villacorta and Daly were in a relationship, according to police.

She is in custody in Loudoun County, Virginia, and awaiting extradition to Prince George’s, police said.


Prince George’s police obtained an arrest warrant for Rivas Villacorta in September, police said. According to an initial investigation, she left the United States in the days after the shooting, police said.

Police believe Daly was shot while he was asleep in bed, according to charging documents. His body was found by his friends who went to check on him about two to three days after police believe he was killed, the documents stated, and a handgun was found on the bed near Daly.

Daly’s family and friends told police the relationship was “turbulent,” the documents said.

The Morning Sun

The Morning Sun


Get your morning news in your e-mail inbox. Get all the top news and sports from the

Rivas Villacorta reported to Prince George’s County police in August 2020 that Daly “verbally abused her and choked her,” according to the charging documents.

Investigators said in the charging documents that Rivas Villacorta sought help from a family member in leaving the country after the shooting. Police believe she boarded a flight from Dulles to El Salvador with a round-trip ticket bought by the family member to return on May 30, 2021, but she didn’t board the return flight, according to the charging documents. The family member told police that Rivas Villacorta said that “she could not come back to the United States because her life was in danger.”

Once authorities knew Rivas Villacorta was on a flight from El Salvador to Dulles on Sunday, CBP officers met her at the arrival gate, agency spokesman Stephen Sapp said.

CBP officers review passenger manifests to identify people who have outstanding arrest warrants, Sapp said. They then check with jurisdictions to confirm that the arrest warrants are active and whether the jurisdictions would like to pursue extradition, Sapp said.

CBP officers at Dulles verified Rivas Villacorta’s identity upon her arrival and took her into custody, Sapp said. She was then turned over to Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority police, Sapp said.


Prince George’s police were at the airport when Rivas Villacorta arrived, Sapp said.

It was not immediately clear whether Rivas Villacorta has an attorney.