VanDyke to leave Libya in a couple of weeks, mother says

Matthew VanDyke — the 32-year-old Baltimorean who was jailed in Libya for nearly six months and then stayed on to join the rebels seeking to overthrow dictator Moammar Gadhafi — plans to come home "in a couple of weeks," said his mother, Sharon VanDyke, who lives in South Baltimore.

She said that she spoke with her son for a few minutes around 9:45 a.m. Sunday, which was 3:45 in the afternoon in Tripoli, the Libyan capital.


"They were having a big celebration today in Martyrs' Square," she said.

Gadhafi, who took over the nation in a 1969 coup, was captured and killed last week.


VanDyke will probably fly back to the United States from Cairo, his mother said.

He called from the Radisson hotel in Tripoli, where he stayed Saturday night, she said, adding that he previously had been at a farm outside the city.

Libyan rebels have supplied her son with clothing, lodging and food, as well as a Jeep, she said.

"He sounds fine," she said, adding that she was no longer concerned that his confinement took a psychological toll on him.

"The first couple of days [after his release from prison] he sounded very tired, his voice was shaky. [Now] he sounds fine. He's Matthew," she said.

VanDyke told his mother that since his release from jail, he has been involved in about 40 rebel "engagements" in which gunfire was exchanged, she said.

"He was on the front lines," she said, adding that before going to Libya her son had never so much as picked up a gun. "He was in a militia brigade."

His mother said that before leaving Libya, VanDyke wants to go back to Sirte — the town that saw the final siege in the fight to oust Gadhafi.


VanDyke was in Sirte the day of Gadhafi's capture, she said, adding that as far as she knew he did not witness what happened to the dictator.

Her son also plans to return to Benghazi, east of Tripoli, to pick up some belongings stored there, she said. One of the items VanDyke wants to reclaim before returning to the United States is a hard drive containing digital video footage, she said.

VanDyke left for Libya in February to lend support to friends he'd made on a previous trip and to witness the country's uprising for a book he planned to write.

He also hoped to use video footage from the trip for a documentary, said VanDyke's longtime girlfriend, Lauren Fisher, a Baltimore elementary school teacher. Fisher also spoke to VanDyke Sunday morning.

In the next few weeks, VanDyke will be gathering more footage and notes on the aftermath of the revolution, Fisher said. He also wants to see several people before he leaves, she said, adding that those visits are taking longer to coordinate than expected.

"I'm sure he'll be back in the next couple of weeks," Fisher said. "And I'm looking forward to seeing him."