The deadly storm that roared through the Baltimore region Friday night blew customers in the doors of some businesses and money off the counter of others.

Gas stations that had electricity to operate their pumps, pet-friendly hotel chains such as Sheraton, health clubs with air conditioning and hot showers, and any restaurant with power were the big winners.


But for other businesses, especially restaurants and bars without power, this was a lost weekend.

Martha Silver traveled from Silver Spring to Annapolis before she could find a hotel to take her husband, two kids and her dog, Sakua.

"There was nothing in between," she said while waiting for a table in the Annapolis Sheraton with Sakua on a leash. "We stopped in Beltsville and Rockville, and they were all filled."

After checking in Saturday afternoon, her husband and son went to the D.C. United soccer game in Washington and she and her daughter went to Westfield Mall, across the street from the hotel.

"No reason not to do some shopping," Silver said.

Jim Shiever and his wife checked into the same hotel Sunday morning with their German shepherd, Max.

"We tried to rough it for a couple of days, but it was terrible," said the Davidsonville resident, who was without electricity and water because his well is run by an electric pump.

"We'll shower, rest, enjoy the AC and recharge, I guess," he said. "We'll be here at least two nights, maybe longer."

At the Double T Diner in Annapolis, cars filled the parking lot and the line was out the door. Meanwhile, across the street, Bagels and owner David Finkelstein said he served more than 1,700 customers, twice the normal Sunday morning traffic.

"Same thing. Every time there is weather," said Finkelstein. "We were ready. We were prepared."

The lines were long, too, at the Shell station on West Street, where most customers were filling up their gas tanks as well as gas cans needed to fuel generators.

"I've been up all night feeding the generator," said Melanie Dands of Severna Park, who uses it to run a refrigerator, one lamp and a pair of fans — one directed on her and another on her 17-year-old daughter while they sleep.

"It was so sudden, no one was prepared," Dands said. "And BG&E keeps giving us false hope. First the power will be on at 8, then 2, then 11:30. They must think they can tell us anything because we're stupid."

Katie Daniel of Severna Park and her family were prepared with a whole-house generator. They learned their lessons from previous nasty storms. But when they turned on the generator, it didn't work.


"My husband is trying to buy parts for it now. Don't bother to call anyone to fix it. Nobody can come," she said.

Daniel said gas station lines were getting tense by Saturday afternoon. "People were watching to see if you cut in line," she said.

At Baltimore's Belvedere Square, C.T. Sartory, a supervisor at Atwater's, said breakfast service at the wasmore than double — from an average of 250 to more than 700. As late as 2 p.m., people without power were still arriving, filling every table and perhaps dawdling in the coolness with their newspapers.

"Everybody wanted pancakes until we didn't have any more," Sartory said.

And gazpacho was outselling every other soup. "We're just going to have to whip up more," he said of the refreshing, cold soup.

Chris Ward and his wife, Leah, of Cedarcroft, were there at Atwater's with an out-of-town guest. They had a generator running their refrigerator, their fans and their cell phone chargers, but a morning at Atwater's was more appealing.

"We're not dying," said Ward. "We like it here."

Melvena Sherard turned her day upside down — food and coffee at Atwater's first, then a trip to Lynn Brick's gym next door — because she couldn't brew coffee at home and the garage at the gym was full.

"I had to have my coffee," said the Govans' dentist, who noted that her office had power while her home did not. "It really is spotty."

At Greg's Bagels at Belvedere Square, Mother Nature wasn't to blame for the state of things: The shop had power, but a water pipe feeding the bagel boilers broke Saturday night, flooding the store as well as its neighbors, a shoe store and a wine shop.

"I woke up in a house with no electricity when they called," said Greg Novik, the bagel shop's owner. "We worked to clean everything up until about 1 a.m., went home to a house with no air conditioning and no power and were back here at 6 a.m. This job is brutal sometimes."

But he was open both Saturday and Sunday and said business was up by at least 25 percent.

Meanwhile, Dan Chaustit, owner of the wine bar Crush, said he had to throw out $30,000 worth of meat and seafood. Looking dismayed, he said he wouldn't be restocked and ready to open until 5 p.m. Monday.

"It is really strange," he said, gesturing across the street to Atwater's. "When the power goes out, it is either this side of the street or the other."

"It isn't just the lost food," he said. "We lost a Saturday night and part of a Friday night. That really hurt."

Businesses in Baltimore were much like the traffic lights Sunday: Some had power and some did not. Miss Shirley's on Cold Spring Lane was bustling, while Eddie's supermarket in Roland Park was dark.

"We have no comment on anything," said a manager.