$150,000 settlement reached in Baltimore police shooting

Baltimore City police Detective Calvin Moss, who has been sued four times in 10 years over misconduct allegations, have reached a $150,000 settlement connected to an incident in which he shot a man fleeing officers, according to court records.

The settlement order is listed in the court file and on the court docket, but still must be approved by the city spending board.


In January 2013, according to court records, Marque Marshall jumped from a car near Belair Road and fled from Moss and his partner. At one point, Marshall "squared himself up" to fire a gun at the officers. Having seen a handgun in Marshall's hands, Moss fired and hit Marshall's left hand, records say. But no handgun was found at the scene, Moss' attorneys wrote in recently filed records.

Marshall faced several charges, but prosecutors dismissed them.

Moss and a Police Department spokesman declined to comment on the settlement. In such agreements, the officer and city do not acknowledge wrongdoing.

The settlement is another potential payout against city officers.

A Baltimore Sun investigation published last fall showed that the city had paid $5.7 million since 2011 in court judgments and settlements related to lawsuits accusing officers of brutality and other misconduct. It also showed that some officers were sued multiple times, and that the city had an insufficient system of monitoring such claims. Five days after the investigation was published, the mayor and police commissioner announced that they were asking the U.S. Department of Justice to conduct a comprehensive review of the Police Department.

Moss, 46, has been named as a defendant in three other lawsuits.

In 2012, the city paid a $100,000 settlement to a longtime cafeteria worker at an elementary school. Moss and his partner arrested the woman near Harford Road and charged her with gun and drug offenses after the men spotted her near a known drug house. She spent two days in jail. Her 2010 lawsuit said she was walking up the street to a meet a friend to sell church raffle tickets. Prosecutors later dropped all charges against her.

In another lawsuit, a Baltimore woman accused Moss and his partners of strip-searching her in public and hitting her on Lombard Street in 2008; a jury ruled in favor of the officers.

In a separate lawsuit, a Randallstown man accused Moss and his partner of beating him. A jury cleared Moss, but a judge found the partner liable for $7,500.