A 59-year-old Oxon Hill man died after suffering burns and smoke inhalation in a fire that tore through his home Sunday morning, according to a Prince George's County Fire and Emergency Medical Services spokesman.
Firefighters responded to the 5100 block of Boulder Drive about 5:30 a.m. for reports of a man trapped in a fire and found heavy smoke coming out of the home, said Mark Brady, the spokesman.
They located the man, who was transported to a local hospital and then transferred to the Burn Center at MedStar Washington Hospital Center, where he was pronounced dead at about 12:30 p.m., Brady said.
The man's wife, described as being in her 50s, also suffered from smoke inhalation and was treated and released from an area hospital, Brady said.
A preliminary investigation determined the man, who police did not identify, was trying to refuel a kerosene space heater without turning the heater off, Brady said.