Yeardley Love died at the hands of former boyfriend George Huguely V.
Yeardley Love died at the hands of former boyfriend George Huguely V. (University of Virginia)

George W. Huguely V., who is serving a 23-year prison sentence for killing Yeardley Love, his ex-girlfriend and fellow University of Virginia lacrosse player, has appealed his case to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Huguely was convicted in the 2010 beating death of Love shortly before both were scheduled to graduate. He argued to the nation's highest court that he was denied his "counsel of choice" during trial, because one of his two lawyers fell ill but the judge ordered the proceedings to continue without her.


Huguely, of Chevy Chase, was convicted of second-degree murder and grand larceny in the death of Love. He previously has made similar arguments, that his Sixth Amendment right to counsel was violated, as he appealed his case through the Virginia judicial system.

"I feel like this will never end," Love's mother, Sharon Love, said Wednesday of Huguely's most recent appeal.

"I think because his other lawyer said it was all right to proceed, and they proceeded, it kind of negates George's argument," said Love, who lives in Cockeysville.

Love and her elder daughter, Lexie, attended the two-day trial and testified in the sentencing phase. They later started the One Love Foundation, named after Yeardley's uniform number, to advocate against relationship violence.

"It's always a long shot when you're petitioning the Supreme Court," said University of Richmond law professor Carl Tobias, "and this one is as well."

Tobias said he does not expect a quick decision on whether the U.S. Supreme Court will review the case given that it is close to recessing for the summer.

"They are probably not doing much but writing opinions at this point," he said of the court's justices, who are expected to release rulings on high-profile cases involving Obamacare and same-sex marriage shortly.

At Huguely's 2012 trial, defense lawyer Rhonda Quagliana was stricken with a serious stomach, prompting a delay. The following day, the other defense lawyer initially indicated he could proceed by himself, but after conferring with Huguely sought, unsuccessfully, a continuance until Quagliana recovered.

Huguely's lawyer in the appeal is Paul D. Clement, a former U.S. Solicitor General who has argued more than 75 cases before the Supreme Court.