Man charged in Maryland shootings denied bail

The Beltsville man accused in a recent spree of shootings around the Baltimore region was ordered Monday held without bail in the Anne Arundel County Detention Center.

At a bail review hearing in Annapolis, prosecutors argued against the release of Hong Young, 35, citing concerns that he is a flight risk and a threat to the community.


Prosecutors said that after Young's arrest on March 3, police recovered a backpack from his residence containing protein bars, toilet paper and a passport — an indication that he was "prepared to flee the jurisdiction," said Anne Arundel County State's Attorney Wes Adams.

Police also recovered 10 firearms; after the hearing, Adams said the "multiple firearms [Young] possessed would present a danger to the community, especially given the allegations in this case."


Young, a former Maryland corrections officer, is charged with attempted first-degree murder in Anne Arundel County after he was accused of firing at a vehicle driven by a 61-year-old man near Arundel Mills mall on Feb. 24. The man was not seriously injured.

Young is expected to face charges in other jurisdictions for additional shootings, including an incident in which shots were fired at the window of a vehicle on the Intercounty Connector, injuring two people.

Police allege he also is responsible for shootings near a building affiliated with the National Security Agency at Fort Meade, near a Wal-Mart in Laurel and at the AMC Theatres at The Mall in Columbia. Authorities are investigating whether Young also fired shots toward the Maryland Live casino at Arundel Mills.

He was taken into custody March 3 near Arundel Mills after police found a shell casing and a .380-caliber pistol on the front seat of his vehicle during a traffic stop. Police said he waived the right to an attorney and confessed to the shootings.

Young told police that he had been "hearing voices" that told him to carry out the shootings, according to court records released last week. After his arrest, he was evaluated at a local hospital.

Young's attorney, William M. Davis, told reporters Monday he had not reviewed those evaluations. He declined to comment further. Young is now at the Jennifer Road Detention Center.

Davis told the judge that if Young were granted bail, he would be able to stay with his family at their Daisey Creek Terrace home in Beltsville. None of his family appeared at the hearing.

The judge ordered that should Young's bail status change, he cannot have access to the firearms. Young wore a dark-colored shirt and spoke only briefly at the hearing.