Slain Harford Sheriff's Deputies Logsdon, Dailey were honored for valor

Harford County Sheriff's Deputy Patrick Dailey once helped to pull a 17-year-old boy from a burning sport utility vehicle on Christmas Eve. Deputy Mark Logsdon once persuaded an armed man not to kill himself and got him to hand over his loaded shotgun.

Both were honored for their valor on the job.


On Wednesday afternoon, in a busy Abingdon shopping mall, the two deputies confronted David Brian Evans, a man with outstanding arrest warrants. Dailey, 52, talked to Evans, who pulled out a gun and shot him in the head inside a Panera Bread restaurant. Logsdon, 43, was among several deputies who pursued a fleeing Evans, and Logsdon died in an exchange of gunfire. Evans, 68, also was killed in the shootout.

Dailey and Logsdon, who served in the sheriff's office for 30 years and 16 years, respectively, are believed to be the first Harford deputies to be killed by gunfire on duty in more than a century. Before Wednesday, the sheriff's office, established in 1774, had lost five deputies in the line of duty.


"These men are heroes," Harford Sheriff Jeffrey R. Gahler said Thursday.

Logsdon's father, Pat Logsdon, said he couldn't believe that his son had survived a deployment to Iraq with the Army only to be killed back home.

"He was our hero," Pat Logsdon said. "He was everybody's hero."

Mark Logsdon was deployed to Iraq with the Maryland National Guard in 2003 and served as a military policeman, according to Army records. He received several commendations during his military career, which included active-duty service from 1991 to 1999, and then the National Guard. He was a member of the 115th Military Police Battalion and left the Guard in 2004 as a staff sergeant, a spokesman said.


Dailey also served in the miliary as a Marine, the sheriff's office said. He also was a longtime member of the Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company, joining on his 16th birthday and serving for 37 years, the fire company said. He spent nine years on its board of directors and was chair of its by-laws committee.

"Pat dedicated his life to protecting his community," a news release from the fire company said.

At the Harford sheriff's office, Logsdon was assigned to the community services division and Dailey to the court services division.

Jesse Bane, a former Harford County sheriff, knew both deputies well. Dailey has been eligible to retire, Bane said, and he often teased him about when he would finally end his career.

"The sheriff's office was his family," said Bane, now the town administrator for Bel Air. "He didn't want to walk away from it."

Logsdon was a hardworking officer who had come to the department from the Army, Bane said.

"They were excellent police officers, excellent cops, very hardworking and very dedicated," he said.

Deputy Chris Gibbons, vice president of the Harford Deputy Sheriffs Union, said Logsdon was an avid golfer who helped organize the union's annual golf tournament. He remembered him as "always a fun guy, always good for a laugh and willing to help if someone needed something."

Gibbons remembered a time several years ago when Logsdon was driving several deputies involved in a morning hostage situation back to the southern precinct. Logsdon stopped and bought the deputies breakfast.

"That was one of the things he would do for people," Gibbons said.

Dailey was honored for his role in an incident in December 2002 in which six Harford sheriff's deputies and two civilians were on the scene of a crash involving a Chevy Blazer that struck a cement mixing truck head-on on East-West Highway. A teenager was trapped in the driver's seat of the Blazer, unconscious and bleeding heavily, according to a report by The Baltimore Sun.

As fire was spreading under the hood, Dailey and the other deputies used fire extinguishers to fight the blaze, prying the doors open with their hands and working to free the teenager, whose clothes were catching fire. One of the deputies entered the vehicle and cut the teen's seat belt with a pocket knife to free him, as the group pulled the driver from the Blazer.

Seconds later, the passenger compartment of the SUV filled with flames. The teen was flown to Maryland Shock Trauma Center. Three months later, he was able to thank Dailey, who was treated for smoke inhalation, and the other deputies.

The group was honored at Harford County Sheriff's Office Awards Banquet.

In 2005, Logsdon came face-to-face with a man armed with a loaded shotgun who was intent on killing himself. Logsdon began talking to the man, according to an account of the incident reported on Examiner.com, and convinced him to give up the weapon and be transported to the hospital.

A year later, the sheriff's office gave Logsdon a commendation for valor in recognition of his work.

Dailey is survived by his two sons, Bryan, 20, and Tyler, 17, his girlfriend and his mother, according to the Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company. Logsdon is survived by his wife, three children and his parents, the Harford sheriff's office said.

Dailey was a good neighbor on a Joppatowne street populated by several active and former law enforcement officers and their families, residents said. American flags flew outside several of the homes, including Dailey's, in the residential area near Riverside Elementary School.

Don Adams, 63, who has lived three houses from Dailey for 17 years, said he and Dailey were among a crew of four men who would shovel neighbors' sidewalks after a snowstorm.

Dailey also regularly walked a golden retriever for another neighbor who worked a different police shift, Adams said.

"What neighbor would do that?" he said. "He was a really nice guy, a neighborhood guy."

Adams said news of Dailey's death was a blow to the whole neighborhood.

"It's like losing a family member," he said. "I know I'm going to miss him."

Carolyn Young, 77, and her husband had just returned to their nearby home from exercising Wednesday night when they saw the shooting on the TV news.

Young, who had just seen what she'd thought was Dailey's vehicle driving up the street, breathed a small sigh of relief.

"That's horrible," she remembered saying. "I'm glad it's not him."

Then she heard the news.

"It really hit me," Young said. "He was very friendly, a neighbor we'd had for a long time."

Kurt Nagel, a former Baltimore police officer who lived down the street from Logsdon in Fallston, placed a bouquet of flowers Thursday at a makeshift memorial at the Panera Bread restaurant.

"He was a really good neighbor. He always helped out," Nagel said. "His next-door neighbor was actually a family friend who has some health issues. He was always over there helping. [The neighbor] would fall down, his wife couldn't pick him up, so they would call him, and he'd come over and help him."

Logsdon would mow the large, steeply sloped front lawn for his next-door neighbor Patricia Schenk, 81, and her 86-year-old husband, John, who has a heart condition.


"What do we owe you?" they would ask, but he never accepted a dime, she said.


Schenk said she couldn't bring herself to refer to him in the past tense.

"I can't get used to the idea that he's not here," she said Thursday. "He was the best neighbor you could ask for."

Baltimore Sun Media Group reporters Erika Butler and Rachael Pacella contributed to this article.