Baltimore boxer Gervonta Davis jailed after moving twice without permission while on house arrest

Thank you for supporting our journalism. This article is available exclusively for our subscribers, who help fund our work at The Baltimore Sun.

Baltimore boxing champion Gervonta Davis leaves the Elijah Cummings Courthouse after his sentencing on charges stemming from a November 2020 hit-and-run crash that left four people injured. Davis received 90 days under house arrest, 200 hours of community service and three years probation after his house arrest.

Baltimore boxing champion Gervonta Davis, who was sentenced last month to 90 days of house arrest for charges from a Baltimore hit-and-run crash, was jailed Thursday after he moved twice without a judge’s permission.

Davis moved first to a hotel and then to Silo Point, a condominium complex at Locust Point, without permission from Baltimore Circuit Court Judge Althea M. Handy, according to Emily Witty, a spokesperson for the Baltimore City State’s Attorney’s Office.


Davis has been transferred to Central Booking per Handy’s orders, said Deli Okafor, spokesperson for the Baltimore City Sheriff’s Office.

Davis’ lawyer told Handy during a court hearing Thursday that the home where Davis was staying was too small for him and his security detail, so he moved into a Four Seasons Hotel without the judge’s permission, Witty said. She declined to say when he moved in there.


Davis, who was being monitored by GPS, then moved to a home in Silo Point, about a week ago, also without permission, Witty said.

“As a result, Judge Handy ordered the defendant to serve the remainder of his home detention sentence” in jail, Witty said in an email.

Davis was taken into custody during an “impromptu” hearing Thursday in Baltimore Circuit Court, said Michael Tomko, who represented the boxer in the case stemming from the November 2020 hit-and-run crash that injured four people.

The sheriff’s office confirmed Davis was taken into custody during the hearing before Handy.

The Morning Sun


Get your morning news in your e-mail inbox. Get all the top news and sports from the

On May 5, Handy sentenced Davis to serve 90 days of detention on house arrest after he pleaded guilty in February to leaving the scene of an accident involving bodily injury, failing to notify an owner of property damage, driving on a suspended license and running a red light. Police and prosecutors say he had gotten behind the wheel of a Lamborghini and diverted from his police escort before running a red light and crashing into a 2004 Toyota Solara. Davis fled, and four occupants of the Toyota were hospitalized for cuts, bruises and sprains.

Baltimore boxing champion Gervonta Davis leaves the Elijah Cummings Courthouse after his sentencing May 5 on charges stemming from a November 2020 hit-and-run crash that left four people injured.

His sentence also required him to perform 200 hours of community service. He will be on probation for three years following his detention, and must pay $165 in court fees within six months and a $100 fine. He also must attend sessions with Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

During last month’s sentencing hearing, Handy threatened to have Davis, who lives in Florida, serve his 90 days in jail if he couldn’t find a place to stay in Baltimore. She allowed for Davis to stay locally with his trainer, Calvin Ford.

Witty declined to comment Friday on whether Davis moved in with Ford before leaving for the hotel.


Thursday’s hearing was not listed on the circuit court’s Thursday docket, and it was not documented in electronic court records Thursday evening.

Davis won the biggest fight of his career April 22 when he stopped previously undefeated Ryan Garcia with a body shot in the seventh round. He moved to 29-0 with the victory and cemented his status as boxing’s top young attraction, drawing a sellout crowd to Las Vegas’ T-Mobile Arena and about 1.2 million pay-per-view buys, according to Sports Business Journal.

Baltimore Sun reporter Dillon Mullan contributed to this article.