A Havre de Grace woman who found a key ring, candy wrappers and a Herr's potato chip bag in her driveway this week helped investigators track down the suspect in a high-profile Philadelphia abduction case, according to documents filed Thursday in federal court.

The woman called police Tuesday evening saying she had found items including broken glass and a receipt from a Philadelphia supermarket on Monday morning, court documents say — and that evidence eventually led investigators to Delvin Barnes, 37, who is accused of kidnapping nursing assistant Carlesha Freeland-Gaither, 22, from a Philadelphia street on Sunday.


Barnes is being held without bail at the Baltimore County Detention Center in Towson. He and Freeland-Gaither were found Wednesday in Jessup after U.S. marshals and agents from the FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives tracked down the Ford Taurus they were in.

When investigators arrived at the Havre de Grace woman's property, they collected evidence that included the supermarket receipt and wrappers for candy and chips, according to a criminal complaint filed in U.S. District Court.

Surveillance footage and a receipt at a Shell gas station in Aberdeen showed that a man fitting Barnes' description had purchased Herr's sour cream and onion potato chips and other items there after using Freeland-Gaither's ATM card at a nearby PNC Bank, investigators allege.

Additional footage from the supermarket in Philadelphia placed him in the store at the time stamped on the receipt found in the woman's driveway, the court documents say.

When that video footage was released to the public and law enforcement agencies, investigators with the Charles City County, Va., Sheriff's Office concluded the man in the images was Barnes, who is wanted there in a separate abduction case, according to the criminal complaint.

Barnes was taken to Maryland State Police headquarters in Pikesville after his arrest, according to Baltimore County police, and appeared in Towson before District Judge Darryl Fletcher on Thursday via video for a bail review hearing that lasted only a few minutes. The hearing dealt with a fugitive warrant for Barnes in the Virginia case.

Fletcher signed extradition paperwork and ordered Barnes to be held without bail. He gave Virginia authorities five days to transport Barnes back to that state, where Barnes faces charges including attempted capital murder, rape and abduction for a case involving a 16-year-old girl from Richmond.

Dressed in an orange jumpsuit, Barnes answered "Yes, sir," and "No, sir" to Fletcher's questions. He was not represented by an attorney.

Reporters from Philadelphia and other cities filled the small courtroom at the courthouse on Chesapeake Avenue. The case has drawn widespread interest because chilling footage of Freeland-Gaither's abduction was caught on surveillance video.

"That has never been on video before, something like that," said Karen Pilarski, a Baltimore County prosecutor who represented the state at the hearing.

On Wednesday, ATF Agent Timothy Jones described to reporters how agents surrounded the vehicle in which Barnes and Freeland-Gaither were found on Waterloo Road in Jessup. The car had a kicked-out right rear window, and the two were in the back seat.

Although Freeland-Gaither was relieved to see law enforcement, she was hysterical and was immediately taken to the hospital, he said.

"Once she had the time to process what had occurred, you could tell she was very emotionally distraught," Jones said.