xml:space="preserve">
xml:space="preserve">
Advertisement
Advertisement

Lansdowne home explosion caused by bathtub finishing work

The Baltimore County Fire Department responded to an explosion at a house in the 4200 block of Twin Circle Way on Tuesday. One person was taken to Johns Hopkins Bayview with severe burns.
The Baltimore County Fire Department responded to an explosion at a house in the 4200 block of Twin Circle Way on Tuesday. One person was taken to Johns Hopkins Bayview with severe burns. (Cody Boteler / Baltimore Sun)

An explosion and house fire in Lansdowne that left one man with severe burns was caused when chemicals used in a bathtub refinishing project ignited, investigators said Thursday.

Around noon July 16, fire officials were dispatched to the 4200 block of Twin Circle Way, in an apartment complex, for a report of a house explosion and fire. The fire was extinguished by about 12:30 p.m.

Advertisement

One man, who officials have not identified, was transported to Johns Hopkins Bayview with serious burn injuries. Officials said Thursday the man, a 29-year-old maintenance worker at the complex, remains hospitalized.

Officials said Thursday there were “multiple” possible sources of ignition in the bathroom where the work was being done, and did not disclose the specific chemical or chemicals that ignited.

Advertisement
Advertisement

A family of four living inside the apartment unit was able to evacuate.

The unit where the fire started was heavily damaged; walls appeared either blown out or knocked down by the fire department on both sides of the unit July 16. Officials said three other units were damaged as well.

Officials from BGE were on the scene July 16 to make sure there were no issues with gas lines. A company spokeswoman confirmed that investigators found no gas-related problems.

Recommended on Baltimore Sun

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement