Man's family sues after electrical death on vacant property [Pages from the Past]

An article in the May 2, 1914 edition of The Argus reported an lawsuit after the accidental death of man.

For the death of Diedrick Albers, who was killed July 30, 1913, by an electric shock while on the premises at the corner of Wilkens and Beechfield avenues, suit for $15,000 damages was brought Tuesday in the City Court by his widow and daughter. The suit is against the Consolidated Gas Electric Light and Power Company, the Patapsco Electric and Manufacturing Company and Catherine Textor and William A. Smith, trustees of the estate of the late Anton Textor, to whom the property belonged. The property was unoccupied, it was stated, and electric wires extending into the house had been negligently permitted to become broken.


Mrs. Frank T. Harrison reported to the Catonsville police Monday that an effort had been made to enter Woodside, her country place, Edmondson avenue and Old Frederick road. The police made an investigation, but found no trace of thieves. The peculiar noises were attributed to gray squirrels, which abound in large numbers in the woodland about the house.


The selection of Halethorpe as the site for the encampment of various State troops while they are in training for service in Mexico or along the Texas border, brings the war about as near as it will probably get to Baltimore county. The camp will be pitched on the big field on the north side of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad and just opposite the field where the aviation meet was held several years ago.


Asserting that they are entitled to a five-cent car fare, the residents of Norwood Heights on the Frederick road, have sent a petition to the Public Service Commission asking that the United Railways and Electric Company be ordered to reduce its rate.

Norwood Heights is situated between Irvington and Catonsville, and the petitioners say is entitled to the five-cent fare, as the suburb is no further out than Ten Hills, which was recently granted the single fare.

The Frederick road property is a new development which has lately been opened by Henry Morton, the advertising sign man. Already it has enjoyed considerable success and a number of sales have been made. The reduction of the car fare would, of course, be an immeasurable advantage.


George Heinmueller, the local baker and the ice cream manufacturer, has installed a handsome soda fountain in his place of business, 638 Frederick avenue.

75 Years Ago

An article in the April 28, 1939, edition of The Catonsville Herald and Baltimore Countian reported the growing litter problem in the area.

Much concern is being expressed by thoughtful residents of Catonsville and vicinity over conditions that are rapidly making parts of the community and its undeveloped areas into unsightly dumping grounds for tin cans, trash and rubbish.

Unrestricted dumping has disfigured many lanes and nearby wooded areas facing the main highways and drives.

Residential sections are involved because vacant lots are being used for trash disposal, and in some instances for garbage. Protests from property owners are mounting.

Catonsville's rapid growth is bringing many new homes within uncomfortable proximity to the areas in which trash and garbage are being dumped. Among the other growing nuisances are the tossing aside of old newspapers and package wrapping on the streets. Soiled containers, lunch boxes, milk bottles, etc., left on corners and curbings, are adding to the general scene of disorder.


A beautiful ball game was witnessed by an enthusiastic turnout of fans in Weltmer Bowl at Spring Grove last Sunday when the Catonsville A. C. pried the lid off the 1939 season by defeating the Odenton Club, 3-2. Catonsville rooters had their first chance to look over their baseball representatives for the year and found the team worthy of advance predictions.

The opener was a thriller form all standpoints. Scop pitched a fine game with Fisher handling him behind the bat. Warren Reichert at first turned in a stellar job. Maurice Bloom at second, Al Tiederman at short, and Rog Atchison at third displayed heady baseball. The outfield was taken care of by Evans, Houston, Cavey, Delcher and Dressler.


The spring meeting of the Maryland Association of School Librarians will take place this Saturday, April 29, at 2 p.m. at the Catonsville High School.

As tentatively planned, the main feature of the program will be a discussion of the question, "Can We Test The Effectiveness of Our School Librarians?" The speaker, Miss Nora E. Beust, a specialist in school libraries, comes from the United States Office of Education at Washington, D.C. In addition to this talk, there will be reports by a special committee and discussion from the floor concerning the Federal Aid Bill. Later, tea will be served.

50 Years Ago

An article in the April 30, 1964 edition of the Herald Argus and Baltimore Countian announced a new "old" exhibit at the library.

The Catonsville Room in the Catonsville Area Library will have a new exhibit through the months of May and June. Pictures of the old homes of the Catonsville area will be on display with the "Farmlands" home (now the Catonsville Senior High School property) of the Lurman family being featured. Mary Carroll Caton Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution and the Castle Thunder Society of the Children of the American Revolution will display antique articles from the members' families.


Over 175 boys and girls took advantage of the chance for a free bicycle safety inspection conducted by the Catonsville Optimist Club on Saturday, April 25 at the Catonsville elementary school.

Emblems were placed on the bicycles which passed the inspection. Refreshments were served.


The Johnnycake Pre-Teens held a top spinning contest at the center on Friday evening, April 24. About 25 boys and girls entered the contest. Prizes were awarded Mike McGraw, who was judged the winner, with Patty Floray and Nick Crispino placing second and third in that order.


"One day you walk down a street and you see a house; the next day, the house is gone."

Thus commented a passerby last Friday, April 24, as one of Catonsville's landmarks met its doom.

The parsonage of Salem Lutheran Church on Newburg avenue, which is more than 50 years old, was brought down by the wrecking ball. Now, the debris is being trucked away to make way for a parking lot for the church.

If the Maryland boys go to the front they will give a good account of themselves. From the Revolutionary War down Maryland has always been conspicuous for the gallantry of her soldiers, and the present crisis will keep up to the high standard of the roster.

Material from archives courtesy of the Catonsville Historical Society.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad