Pages from the Past: Tour of gold mines in Canada leads to wedding ring for Catonsville woman

An article in the Feb. 15, 1913, edition of The Argus reported on the culmination of a long-distance romance sparked by a meeting during a tour of Canadian gold mines.

Three thousand miles across the continent to Tacoma, Wash., Miss Ethel Patterson, of Ingleside avenue, will travel to wed Donald McCallun, of Keremeos, B.C., and the Patterson home is now in the throes of preparation for her westward trip. Miss Patterson will leave Baltimore next Thursday, and will be accompanied on her long trip by her brother, Frederick V. Patterson, who will act as best man at the wedding.

The wedding is the culmination of a romance which was begun last summer, while on a visit to her sister, Mrs. Melbourne Bailey, of Tacoma. During the visit, Miss Patterson and her sister made the journey into British Columbia to visit the gold mines in which her brother-in-law is interested. It was during this trip to Canada that she met Mr. McCallun.

Before Miss Patterson had concluded her visit, there existed a strong friendship between the couple, and although after her return they were separated by the breadth of a continent, the friendship developed into a stronger bond. A proposal by mail was accepted by Miss Patterson, and arrangements for the wedding made.


As he boarded a Frederick road car at Arlington avenue and Lombard street, Baltimore, Thursday evening of last week, George F. Anderson, of Catonsville, was jostled by a couple of men. Three blocks distant, they left the car. Subsequently, Anderson discovered that a pocketbook containing $93 had been taken from his trouser's pants.


Thieves entered the stable of Charles Birch, on the Frederick road, near Catonsville, Saturday night and got away with two sets of harness and a goose. Several men were seen early in the night loitering about the building and a good description of them has been furnished the Catonsville police. The stable has been entered twice before.


Seven out of eight ill at one time is the ill luck that has befallen the household of Christian F. Maisel, on Ingleside avenue, father of Fritz and George Maisel, the local ball players.

The sick include Mr. and Mrs. Maisel, their sons, Messrs. Fritz, George and Simon Maisel, all of whom are suffering with an attack of the grip; Miss Laura Maisel, a daughter, who is threatened with pneumonia, and another daughter, Miss Sophia Maisel, who has tonsillitis. The only other member of the family residing with his parents, Heine Maisel, has so far escaped illness.

All the sick were reported doing nicely yesterday. They are being attended by Dr. Charles L. Mattfeldt.


Miss Thekla Willyoung, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Willyoung, of Catonsville, left Monday on a 10,000-mile trip to the Philippine Islands to visit friends. She will remain about six months.

Miss Willyoung will be accompanied as far as Atlanta, Ga., by her brother, Eugene Willyoung, of Buenos Ayres, Argentina, who is visiting his parents. She will stop at Hawaii for several weeks to visit another brother.

75 Years Ago

An article in the Feb. 11, 1938, edition of The Catonsville Herald and Baltimore Countian announced a split in loyalty at a local fire station.

"The battle of Violetville" is still raging with undiminished intensity. We refer, of course, to the struggle between the two rival factions for dominance of the Violetville Fire Department. Two separate groups claim precedence over each other in the ownership and operation of the fire fighting equipment and ambulance service.

Last Friday night, the "old" group, led by John A. Purkey, former undisputed chief of the entire outfit, met and elected officers.

At the same time, the opposition camp held a meeting of its own and elected officers.

How the fight will turn out, nobody knows. Maybe there will be a compromise or a coalition, and maybe there won't.


A petition for a writ of certiorari directing Magistrate John W. Loeber, of Catonsville, to produce docket records of the hearing given Samuel R. Mattison, of Woodlawn, last Friday was filed on Wednesday in the Circuit Court at Towson.

Mattison was fined $10 and costs on an assault charge which was made, it was said, because Mattison swished a stick at Guy Garman, a lumber company operator.

Garman preferred the charge after Mattison allegedly refused to allow Garman's trucks to use a road near Mattison's home. He also contended that Mattison threatened him. Mattison asserted the road is a private one and said he wanted to prevent it from being rutted.

The petition, filed through Mattison's attorney, Harry D. Kaufman, contended that the case was out of Magistrate Loeber's jurisdiction; that Mattison was convicted illegally because he was denied the right to testify fully in his own behalf, and that the magistrate failed to notify the State's Attorney about the case, as provided by law.

At the hearing, it was testified that Mattison parked his automobile across the entrance to the road and crawled under it and remained there for about three hours. It was in this position, it was said, that he swished the stick at Garman's ankle.


Mrs. Lawrence Miller of Relay is seriously ill in Mercy Hospital, Baltimore, and when a blood transfusion was necessary, the blood was supplied by her son, Gregory.

Mrs. Miller is now reported as slightly improved, and her many friends wish her a speedy recovery.

50 Years Ago

An article in the Feb. 14, 1963, edition of the Herald Argus and Baltimore Countian reported an early morning fire.

A Catonsville mother and her young son were treated for smoke inhalation and shock after a fire broke out in their two-story dwelling.

Mrs. Mary E. Harrison of Gralan road and her son, Joseph were removed to St. Agnes hospital in a private car and treated for smoke inhalation and shock early Sunday morning, Feb. 10. A spark from their living room fireplace was said to have been the cause of the blaze. Damage to the house and its contents were considerable. Arbutus Volunteer Fire Department assisted the Catonsville firemen.


Six-year-old Edward Pearson of 5809 Heron Drive, Halethorpe, was taken to St. Agnes hospital on Feb. 8 after he suffered a fall from his bicycle which he was riding in the 5800 block Heron Drive. According to police, the child was traveling down the hill at a high rate of speed and struck a raised place in the concrete sidewalk causing him to lose control of his bike and fall to the sidewalk.


Three girls, all sixth graders, were arrested and taken to the Wilkens Police station after they were observed trying to leave a ten cent store on the Baltimore National Pike on Feb. 1 without paying for articles valued at $21.43.

The parents who were summoned to the station, were advised that the girls are not to go to any of the shopping centers unless they are accompanied by an adult.


Congressmen Carlton R. Sickles and Clarence D. Long have announced the awarding of a $2 million contract to the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, Baltimore, by the Bureau of Naval Weapons for manufacture of torpedo components. The work will be done in the Lansdowne plant.

Material from the archives courtesy of the Catonsville Historical Society.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad