Cyclists in the Maryland Cycling Classic will whiz through Baltimore County and Baltimore City at speeds of up to 45 mph Sunday afternoon, requiring road closures, parking restrictions and Charm City Circulator route changes this weekend.
The race will begin at 1:30 p.m. from Kelly Benefits in Sparks, circle the Prettyboy Reservoir twice and finish at the intersection of East Pratt Street and Market Place in the Inner Harbor.
Rolling road closures in Baltimore County will block off traffic temporarily as cyclists pass through different parts of the 120-mile course, a Baltimore County Police spokeswoman said.
Race organizers said the race caravan, which will include more than 60 support cars and 20 motorbikes, could extend a mile or longer depending on how close competitors are to each another.
Drivers should expect delays if traveling through the route Sunday afternoon.
Racers will begin by traveling north on York Road from Sparks, before turning west toward Butler, then north again on Falls Road. The lead cyclists are expected to reach the northernmost part of the hilly course in Freeland, about half a mile from the Pennsylvania state line, at around 2:30 p.m.
The cyclists then will go around Prettyboy Reservoir using Middletown, Pretty Boy Dam, Mt. Carmel and Beckleysville roads before heading south on Gunpowder, Black Rock and Dover roads, eventually returning to Falls Road via Tufton Avenue for the run into the city.
The first cyclists are estimated to enter the city limits via Falls Road at about 4:30 p.m., according to the Baltimore City Department of Transportation.
Sunday afternoon’s Orioles game versus the Oakland Athletics will begin at 1:35 p.m. Fans heading north and east of Camden Yards after the game may encounter delays and blocked roads.
Once inside the city, cyclists will do four laps of a 7.4-mile circuit that cuts through Charles North, Mid-Town Belvedere, Downtown, Mount Vernon, Inner Harbor and Little Italy before circling back through Fells Point, Washington Hill, Dunbar-Broadway, Oldtown and Mount Vernon again.
Roads on that circuit will begin closing to cars at 1:30 p.m., with all streets closed by 4 p.m. and reopened as soon as possible after the race, the city transportation department said in a news release.
Police and transportation enforcement officers will direct drivers to alternate routes and in some cases allow cars to cross the course.
“Motorists should be advised that traveling from inside the footprint of the race to destinations beyond the race borders (and vice versa) will be difficult during this event,” the transportation department said.
The Morning Sun
Race organizers estimate that the first cyclists will reach the finish by about 6:10 p.m. Sunday.
Riders on the Charm City Circulator will also see route modifications Sunday between 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. and should expect delays.
The Green Route will not run Sunday afternoon. A modified Orange Route will begin at the B&O Railroad Museum, turn left on Poppleton Street, right on West Baltimore Street, right on Greene Street, right on West Lombard Street, right onto Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, left on West Baltimore Street, left on Arlington Avenue, and left on West Pratt Street back to the B&O Museum.
Temporary parking bans will also be in effect along the route between Friday and Sunday. A full list of streets with parking restrictions is available on the city’s Department of Transportation website.
Road closures on Friday from 10 a.m. to midnight:
- Lancaster Street between South Exeter Street and Pratt Street
Road closures from 5 a.m. Saturday to 6 p.m. Sunday:
- Market Place between Water Street and Pratt Street
- Pratt Street between Gay Street and President Street (partial closure Saturday, full closure Sunday)
Road closures on Sunday from 1:30 p.m. to 6 p.m.:
- Falls Road between Lake Avenue and St. Paul Street
- Lombard Street between Light Street and Hopkins Plaza
- Lombard Street between President Street and Gay Street
- Paul Street between Lafayette Avenue and West Lombard Street
- Water Street between Market Place and South Frederick Street
- Pratt Street between Hopkins Plaza and Central Avenue (partial closure on Saturday, full closure on Sunday)
- Central Avenue between Madison Street and Dock Street (segments)
- Dock Street between Central Avenue and South Caroline Street
- Caroline Street between Dock Street and Fleet Street
- Fleet Street between South Caroline Street and Broadway
- Broadway between East Baltimore Street and Fleet Street (southbound only)
- Baltimore Street between East Broadway and North Central Avenue
- Madison Street between North Central Avenue and North Calvert Street (segments)
- Hillen Street between East Madison Street and Fallsway
- Fallsway between Hillen Street and East Madison Street
- Calvert Street between East Madison Street and Federal Street
- Federal Street between North Calvert Street and Barclay Street
- Barclay Street between Federal Street and Lafayette Avenue
- Lafayette Avenue between Barclay Street and St. Paul Street