24-year-old arrested after his grandfather and great-grandmother are found dead in Randallstown

Thank you for supporting our journalism. This article is available exclusively for our subscribers, who help fund our work at The Baltimore Sun.

A 24-year-old man faces first-degree murder charges after Baltimore County Police found his grandfather and great-grandmother dead Sunday evening outside a Randallstown home.

Officers found the two victims outside a home on the 3500 block of Cabot Road in Randallstown while responding to a welfare check call, police said in a news release Monday night. The victims are identified in court documents as 73-year-old Alex Hyman and 86-year-old Sarah Mills.


The 24-year-old family member, identified in court documents as Kennard Goins, was arrested Monday on two counts of first-degree murder. He is being held without bail at the Baltimore County Detention Center in Towson following a bond review Tuesday afternoon.

According to a statement of probable cause filed in Baltimore County District Court, Goins lived with his grandfather Alex Hyman in Randallstown. On Sunday night, his mother, Tonya Hyman-Goins, called the Baltimore County Police Department to ask for a welfare check on their residence after she was unable to contact them.


When police arrived, Goins answered the door and explained his grandfather had gone for a walk before allowing the officers into the home, according to court documents.

“Once inside, officers could smell a strong odor of bleach, and ultimately observed suspected blood droplets and spatter in various locations on the first floor,” court documents read. “Upon further investigation, officers noted suspected blood leading from the front door of the home to the driveway.”

With help from the Baltimore County Fire Department, officers searched the bed of Alex Hyman’s pickup truck and found his body as well as the body of Sarah Mills, Hyman’s mother.

“The two bodies had been wrapped and or covered in blankets in empty trash bags,” court records read. “Alex and Sarah were pronounced deceased at that time.”

Goins was then transported to Baltimore County Police headquarters where he confessed to the killings, according to court documents, saying he killed Hyman on Saturday and then killed Mills the next day when she stopped by to check on Hyman.