A 74-year-old woman was killed, a firefighter was hurt and a family next door was displaced in an accidental stove-top fire at a row home in Essex on Sunday, according to the Baltimore County Fire Department.
The victim, Lillian Webb, was pronounced dead at the scene, according to Jason Wurzbacher, a Baltimore County Fire Department spokesman.
Webb’s family could not be reached on Sunday.
Firefighters attempted to rescue her about 12:24 p.m. from the burning home in the 1000 block of Foxridge Lane, Wurzbacher said. The fire department had earlier reported incorrectly she had been rescued and taken to a hospital in critical condition.
The firefighter, also taken to the hospital, had nonfatal, “heat-related” injuries, Wurzbacher said.
The displaced family’s name was not released. Their cat, which was in the adjacent home at the time, was taken to a veterinarian for treatment for smoke inhalation.
No further details were immediately available.
#BCoFD#Essex // Update// Firebox 51-18// 1010 Foxridge Ln// Command reports one family displaced from the adjacent dwelling. As well as 1 cat transported via #BCoFD ambulance with smoke inhalation to a local animal hospital. Cat was in the adjacent structure.