Use Code BALT69 for a $69 Ticket to One Day University on July 9

After renovation, historic Jericho Covered Bridge to be rolled back into place

Restored Jericho Covered Bridge to be put back into place – carefully.

After several months of painstaking restoration work, the 150-year-old Jericho Covered Bridge will be carefully rolled back into place beginning Thursday afternoon.

The bridge, which carries Jericho Road over the Little Gunpowder Falls on the Baltimore County-Harford County line, has been undergoing a $1.8 million restoration.

Contractors, including a company that specializes in covered bridges, lifted the top part of the bridge off of the roadbed using a system of wooden beams and rollers to slide the 90-foot-long structure onto land. Repairs were made to the bridge's arches and trusses. The bridge decking was replaced and the steel support beams underneath were cleaned and repainted.

It's expected to take at least three days to roll the bridge back into place.

The bridge was built in 1865 to connect the mill towns of Franklinville and Jerusalem Mill. It's one of only a half dozen covered bridges still standing in Maryland.

Only three, including Jericho, still handle traffic. About 500 cars cross the one-lane bridge each day.

Most of the funding for the bridge restoration is coming from the federal government, which has a grant program for historic covered bridges. Baltimore County and Harford County each contributed 10 percent of the cost.

pwood@baltsun.com

twitter.com/pwoodreporter

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad
73°