Third suspect arrested in fatal May shooting of 1-year-old

Carter Omar Scott

The third man believed to be involved in the fatal shooting of a 1-year-old boy that rocked the city in May has been apprehended in Louisiana, Baltimore police said Saturday.

Rashid Mayo, 22, one of three gunmen who fired into a red Chevrolet on May 24, killing toddler Carter Scott and wounding his father, was tracked by the department's Warrant Apprehension Task Force to the campus of Grambling State University near Ruston, La., according to Detective Vernon Davis, a Baltimore police spokesman.


Police have sought Mayo on first-degree murder charges since June, following the arrest of two others in the Cherry Hill shooting that killed the boy and critically wounded his father, Rashaw Scott, whose survival helped investigators identify a motive and suspects.

Charged earlier were Eddie Tarver, 20, caught in a police pursuit after the shooting, and Cornell Harvey, 26, whom Rashaw Scott identified as one of the gunmen.


Davis said Mayo was arrested without incident early Saturday and was being transported to Baltimore. Davis said Mayo will likely be formally charged Monday in the shooting.

The shooting took place in the 1200 block of Cherry Hill Road at 7:05 p.m., in what Rashaw Scott told investigators was a setup and police called an ambush.

Police said three gunmen wearing latex gloves lured Scott to a Cherry Hill apartment complex, where they fired at least 16 rounds into his vehicle.

Carter, a boy who loved the theme song of "Barney and Friends," sour cream and onion potato chips, and making music with kitchen pots, did not survive the bullet that hit his leg.

He died as neighborhood residents who pulled the toddler from the car prayed over him while waiting for an ambulance. Witnesses said their only solace was that the boy did not moan or cry and instead had a faint smile on his face as they believed he began to see angels.

The attack shocked the city, as it claimed one of the youngest gun-crime victims in Baltimore in recent years and occurred during a bloody Memorial Day weekend in which 12 people were shot. The weekend kicked off what would become a violent summer in Baltimore, with about 40 more people being shot in less than two weeks in June.

In the past month, police, political leaders and residents have galvanized around efforts for a safer Baltimore.

In the statement announcing Mayo's arrest, Davis praised detectives for "taking another bad guy off the streets."


Baltimore Sun reporters Carrie Wells, Justin George and Justin Fenton contributed to this article.