In his speech accepting the Republican nomination for the presidency in July 2016, Donald Trump said, “In our nation's capital, killings have risen by 50 percent. They are up nearly 60 percent in nearby Baltimore.” That was not the only time the city has drawn Trump’s attention. He has periodically tweeted about it.
As he prepares to make a presidential visit here, we look at some of his observations.
• Baltimore just set a record for the coldest day in March in a long recorded history - 4 degrees. Other places likewise. Global warming con! (March 4, 2014)
• Wow, 15 policemen hurt in Baltimore, some badly! Where is the National Guard. Police must get tough, and fast! Thugs must be stopped. (April 28, 2015)
• Blatant and rampant property destruction in Baltimore as the police stand by and watch. Should be a lesson on how NOT to handle riots. SAD! (April 27, 2015)
• Hopefully there won't be any problems in Baltimore tonight. Be calm, be cool-do not let anybody get hurt.There is just too much to live for! (April 28, 2015)
• I think Joe Flacco is actually a very elite quarterback. He won a Super Bowl, he did it really to a certain extent with that great arm of his. I would say, absolutely, he is an elite quarterback. (Sept. 21, 2015)