Witnesses describe seeing and hearing the steam pipe explosion in downtown Baltimore near the corner of Eutaw and Pratt Street. (Ulysses Muñoz / Baltimore Sun)
Asbestos has been found on the Holiday Inn building in downtown Baltimore, near the site of last Tuesday's steam pipe explosion, a spokesman with the Maryland Department of the Environment said Wednesday.
The department recommended workers "erect a scaffolding and shroud to remediate that," said spokesman Jay Apperson. Holiday Inn management was not immediately available to comment.
Two environment department-licensed contractors are working to clean up the site, Apperson said. All asbestos wrapping from the affected area has been removed, he said, and air sampling in the crater left by the explosion shows no asbestos.
Veolia North America, which operates the city's 15-mile network of steam pipes, was not immediately available for comment. The company alerted the Baltimore Police Department last week that it was possible first responders may have been exposed to asbestos.