A look at recent history of Baltimore police in-custody deaths

Before the recent death of Freddie Gray garnered national attention, other in-custody deaths raised concerns over police use of force by the community.

•In February, Trayvon Scott, 30, died after showing distress while in a holding cell at the Northern District police station in February 14, 2015. Police said no force was used in Scott's death.


•George V. King, 19, died in May 2014 a week after he struggled with two city police officers who repeatedly struck him with a Taser while he was a patient at MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital. The officers were not criminally charged.

•The death of Tyrone West, who was killed in 2013 after a traffic stop lead to protests. Police say he struggled during an arrest. An autopsy showed that he died of a heart condition exacerbated by the struggle and warm weather. Officers were cleared of any wrongdoing.

•In September 2012, Anthony Anderson, 46, died of internal injuries when Baltimore police officers tackled him after they say they witnessed a drug deal. The state medical examiner's office said the death was a homicide caused by blunt force trauma. But the state's attorney declined to bring charges, ruling that the officers did not use excessive force and followed police guidelines.

Earlier this year, the American Civil Liberties Union reported that 109 people died after encounters with police in Maryland between 2010 and 2014. Baltimore had the highest number, with 31 people who died after encounters with police.

The ACLU report also found that statewide, nearly 70 percent of were black, and more than 40 percent of the people were unarmed.

An investigation by The Baltimore Sun found that the city has paid $5.7 million in court judgments and settlements in 102 civil suits alleging police misconduct since 2011.

Baltimore police have created a "Force Investigation Team," which replaced the homicide unit as the primary investigators of high-profile cases that involve use of force by officers. The department has posted a log of its investigations online

The U.S. Department of Justice has launched a wide-ranging review of the department, including allegations of brutality. On Tuesday, officials with the Justice Department's announced that it would open a criminal investigation into Gray's death.