Man killed in early-morning fire on Greenspring Avenue
By By Joe Burris and Liz Bowie
The Baltimore Sun|
Nov 21, 2014 at 7:48 PM
A man died after being found at the scene of an early morning fire on Greenspring Avenue in North Baltimore, city police said. (Kim Hairston/Baltimore Sun video)
A 74-year-old man died in an early-morning one-alarm fire Friday on Greenspring Avenue in North Baltimore, city fire officials said.
Fire Department spokesman Roman Clark said personnel were dispatched at 3:06 a.m. to the 3800 block of Greenspring Ave., where smoke was pouring from the house. Upon extinguishing the fire, the crew discovered Lynlade Gordon unconscious on the first floor, Clark said.
Gordon had lived in the house since the 1970s and was well-known and liked in his community, according to his next-door neighbor, Joseph Garrett.
"He knew everybody. Everybody loved the man. He was an all-around good guy. He and I were like brothers," Garrett said.
Garrett said he was awakened by his sister early Friday when she realized the house was full of smoke.
"The top floor was smoked up, the basement smoked up. I couldn't find a source for the smoke. I jumped on the phone and called 911," he said.
Before the firetruck arrived, he realized that Gordon's house was on fire. The flames were coming from the couch below the front window, Garrett said, and when firefighters arrived they broke through the front window and pulled the smoldering couch out of the house. Garrett said Gordon did not smoke.
Breaking News Alerts Newsletter
As it happens
Get updates on the coronavirus pandemic and other news as it happens with our free breaking news email alerts.