Baltimore community leader located after going missing as worried neighbors searched

After his absence sparked concern and a neighborhood search effort, Baltimore community leader Rodney Carr has been located after going missing for over a week, his colleague said.

Sarah Wallace, the executive director of the organization Carr founded, the iCarre Resource Center on West North Avenue, announced in a Facebook post Monday morning that Carr had been located.


She thanked the community for searching for him and asked for privacy out of respect for their “brother, community leader, and change champion.”

“While we know there may be many questions and concerns please be mindful and respectful of his family, close friends, and staff at this time,” Wallace wrote. “The most important thing during this time was to make sure Rodney was safe and we have completed that task. We will be able to provide more updates at a later date but at this time our brother, our friend, and leader needs time to rest and ease back into things so he can come back stronger and continuing serving the community he loves so much.”


Wallace could not immediately be reached for further comment Tuesday morning.

Before being located, Carr had last been seen on Dec. 27.

“Everyone knows Brother Rodney and everybody cares about him,” said Michael Foy, 34, who spearheaded the search. “Day in and day out, Rodney fights to save people’s lives. We just want to know that he’s OK.”

Rodney Carr - Original Credit: Handout
Rodney Carr - Original Credit: Handout (Handout / HANDOUT)

A spokesman for the Baltimore Police Department confirmed Saturday that officers are searching for the 50-year-old bald, bespectacled man. .

Carr founded more than a decade ago the iCarre Foundation, which offers mental health and substance abuse counseling, housing services and workplace development.

Wallace, the resource center’s director and Carr’s second in command, said he was last seen around 5 p.m. Dec. 27 after dropping off a holiday gift basket for a neighborhood family. She received a text from Carr at 9:30 p.m. about a report he wanted her to prepare the next day.

And then all communication ceased.

“He isn’t answering his phone,” Wallace said, “and he always answers his phone. It isn’t like him to just disappear like this.”

She began to worry on Tuesday, when Carr hadn’t stopped by any of iCarre’s three work sites, and family members also reported that he hadn’t been in touch.

By Saturday evening, more than two dozen volunteers had distributed flyers with Carr’s photo that had been shared more than 3,000 times on social media. They had phoned every hospital in Maryland and checked local hotels. They called a news conference.

But no clues had turned up as to the whereabouts of either Carr or his navy blue 2017 Lincoln MKZ.

“I saw him at Christmas,” Carr’s friend, Valarie Matthews, 30, said, and he was the same as always, “out there volunteering and trying to help others. He is someone who is so admired and has done so much for the community.


“We are all so worried about him.”

Recommended on Baltimore Sun