City asked to settle two police-involved lawsuits for $223,000

Baltimore's spending panel will decide Wednesday whether to approve two police settlements for a combined $223,000, including one involving a man who lost two fingers after an officer shot him while he was fleeing police in the city's Belair-Edison neighborhood.

The Board of Estimates is asked to settle a lawsuit with Marque Marshall for $150,000 after he sued the city stemming from an incident involving Det. Calvin Moss on Jan. 2, 2013.


Moss and other detectives were patrolling an area near the intersection of Erdman Avenue and Edison Highway when they saw Marshall open the door of a vehicle while it was moving and attempt to exit, according to a summary on the board's agenda. The vehicle slowed near Cliftmont Avenue, and Marshall exited and began running, ignoring commands to stop and show his hands.

The detectives on the scene reported seeing Marshall holding a black handgun while he was running. As the chase continued, Marshall jumped a fence behind a shopping center and detectives say he turned toward an officer "in a manner consistent with preparing to fire a handgun," the agenda summary says.

Moss shot Marshall in the left hand, but detectives never located a handgun on the scene. Marshall's left ring finger and left pinkie were amputated and he needed surgery to repair nerve damage.

City officials said the case involves "conflicting factual issues" and, given the unpredictability of jury verdicts, asked the board to approve the settlement.

In a second settlement poised for approval, Albert Lemon says he was wrongly arrested after an incident Aug. 7, 2012 at an apartment complex in the 600 block of Pennsylvania Avenue where Lemon was working as a security guard.

Officials recommend the city settle with Lemon for $73,000 due to conflicting information about the case, and the uncertainty of jury trials.

According to information presented to the board, Lemon had called 911 to report what appeared to be drug-related activity at the complex where he was working. When former Officer Haywood Bradley and another officer arrived they saw that Lemon had handcuffed a suspect inside the apartment's leasing office.

Bradley and Lemon "exchanged words regarding whether it was appropriate" for Lemon to have handcuffed the suspect. Bradley attempted to arrest Lemon, who was armed.

Bradley claims Lemon reached for his handgun, prompting Bradley and the other officer to draw their weapons, according to the board summary. Lemon was then arrested.