A Baltimore police officer was found dead late Tuesday in the waters of the Inner Harbor, police said.

Officer Prashanth Davis, 34, was a 7-year veteran of the Baltimore Police Department assigned to the Northern District. Police said his death appeared to be accidental.


"This is a very sad day for the men and women of the Baltimore Police Department," interim Commissioner Kevin Davis said. "On behalf of the entire agency, we offer our heartfelt condolences" to Davis' family.

Officers who were called to the 500 block of Harborview Drive about 11:50 p.m. to check on a person's well-being found Davis "face down in the water in between a boat and the dock," police said.

T.J. Smith, the department's chief spokesman, said Davis lived on a boat in the area. He said Davis was not on duty at the time.

Davis was a veteran of the Marine Corps, a spokeswoman for the service said. He served as an administrative clerk; his last duty station was Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va. He left the service as a corporal in October 2008.

Friends of Davis told The Baltimore Sun that he spoke of being wounded overseas. Marine Corps spokeswoman Yvonne Carlock said his personnel file showed no record of a deployment or combat injury.

Jonathan Griffin, a friend and former neighbor, called Davis "the nicest guy you'd ever meet."

Griffin described Davis as the type of person who would offer to do work on neighbors' homes and invite people onto his boat.

Griffin said Davis lived in Stansbury Shores in Dundalk before moving onto his boat.

During the unrest in April, when more than 100 officers were injured, Griffin said Davis would text him.

"He was just like, 'It's just hectic down here, and everyone's basically hands-off. No one supports us,'" Griffin recalled.

But Davis would also talk about taking guns off the streets, Griffin said, and told him about an incident in which he intervened to help a young college student being assaulted.

Baltimore Sun reporter Ian Duncan contributed to this article.