A children's plastic pearl necklace with a rhinestone charm that was being sold at a city store contained toxic amounts of lead, health officials said.
The $1.50 jewelry "Kids Collection Pearl Necklace with Rhinestone Charm and Pearl Earrings" had a lead level more than five times above permissible levels of 100 parts per million ppm found in the clasp, according to a statement from the health department.
The jewelry set was being sold at the Tiffany's Hair & Gift at 3420 Annapolis Road. The health department has issued a violation notice to the store.
"This item sells for less than two dollars but is hardly a bargain. The costs of lead poisoning can last a lifetime," said Interim Health Commissioner Dr. Jacquelyn Duval-Harvey in a statement.
The department has tested nearly 350 pieces of children's jewelry sold at city stores since 2007, and had issued nearly 50 violation notices.