Grace Medical Center in West Baltimore evacuated some employees and patients after sulfur got into the building’s ventilation system, prompting a hazmat situation Tuesday morning. Baltimore firefighters are ventilating the building.
Fire units were called to the hospital around 10:51 a.m. for a possible sulfur leak and determined an old battery had emitted a strange odor and leaked into the HVAC. Employees and people at the hospital for outpatient appointments were evacuated from five levels of the building while Baltimore firefighters located the source of the odor. Evacuations can be common during hazmat situations, said Fire Chief Roman Clark.
Clark said the hazmat investigation did not affect the hospital’s emergency department, and no admitted patients were evacuated. All outpatient services will be canceled for the day, Clark said. He estimated people will be able to enter the building in about 20 minutes.