Maury Figueroa

Baltimore police and correctional officers were searching Wednesday for a man who escaped from the downtown booking center and forced authorities to briefly shut down the Jones Falls Expressway when he apparently ran across the highway.

In an unrelated incident at the city detention center, located near the booking center, prison officials said a detainee was stabbed during an altercation.


Correctional officials said the detainee who escaped, Maury Figueroa, 29, got through a secured, controlled entryway while working on a sanitation detail. A statement says an officer tried to stop him as he climbed a fence in an employee parking lot.

Both directions of the elevated JFX near the West 28th Street bridge were reopened after about 15 minutes. Police initially reported being in a standoff with the suspect, but later said he got away. The escapee was described as a low-level offender being held on $75,000 bail on drug charges.

Authorities did not say how the man got through the sally port about 11:30 a.m. The Central Booking and Intake Facility on East Madison Street is where suspects are brought immediately after their arrest and have initial bail hearings.

The Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services described Figueroa as standing 5 feet 5 inches tall and weighing 180 pounds. He has brown hair and brown eyes. A clothing description was not immediately available.

He was in the booking center on charges of drug violations and driving without a license. He also is wanted by immigration officials, state officials said.

The stabbing occurred at the Baltimore City Detention Center, where arrestees who do not make bail are held pending trial. Prison officials said the victim was in N Section, being moved for recreation, when he was stabbed.

A correctional spokesman, Rick Binetti, described the injuries as not life-threatening. The victim, held on charges of burglary and assault, was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital for treatment. Binetti said the jail has been placed on lockdown; no suspects have been arrested.