A body was recovered from Baltimore’s Inner Harbor waters Thursday afternoon. The body of a woman was found in the water, next to the USS Constellation around 12:40 pm. (Kevin Richardson / Baltimore Sun video)

A woman’s body was recovered Thursday afternoon from Baltimore’s Inner Harbor waters, police confirmed.

Police responded to a call for a body floating in the murky waters around 12:30 p.m. The body was found in the water in front of the M & S Grill, next to the USS Constellation.


The body was taken out of the water shortly after the police’s marine unit arrived and wrapped in a body bag. For at least an hour, the body bag remained on the brick promenade as officers surrounded it.

“The investigation is ongoing,” police spokesman Det. Jeremy Silbert wrote in an email. “There were no obvious signs of foul play at the scene, however an autopsy will be conducted to determine cause of death.”

People gathered near the police tape as officers inspected the woman’s body. What appeared to be a children’s summer camp group rerouted when it became clear what all the commotion was about.

Many people who watched the police response were tourists who came to enjoy the harbor.

Baltimore announces new Inner Harbor safety features — the same day another body is found in the water

Baltimore has committed to spending roughly $125,000 to install safety equipment around the Inner Harbor following pleas from the parents of a 26-year-old man who died earlier this year after falling into the frigid waters.

Arlene and Eddie Taylor are in town from Pennsylvania, and were looking for some quiet time away from their kids. The couple planned to go on a relaxing walk around the waterfront. Instead they stared as police covered up the body.

“This is just disheartening,” Eddie Taylor, 54, said.

Diane Levin came from Florida for a visit with her husband’s family. She had just finished up lunch at The Cheesecake Factory when she saw the heavy police presence. Living in Tampa, she said she’s used to seeing water accidents. But this incident brought up darker questions.

“Is it safe here?” she said while sitting with her 11-year-old daughter.

Eventually, the crowd thinned out and people continued to zip by the waterfront on Bird scooters. One woman walked by, looked at the crime scene and asked a group of girls: “Is this a movie or is this real?”

“It’s real,” they told her.