Barclay Elementary/Middle School was evacuated after electrical equipment overheated and caused an odor Friday morning, according to a spokeswoman for the city school system.
There was no fire in the building, but students were evacuated because of the odor, said Baltimore City Schools spokeswoman Anne Fullerton. The Baltimore City Fire Department previously said it responded to the school for a report of an electrical fire.
Fullerton said she did not know what kind of equipment overheated or what caused the odor.
The school is located at 2900 Barclay St. in the Abell neighborhood. Students had returned to class by 9 a.m., Fullerton said.
This article has been updated.