Baltimore City

Amtrak, MARC trains to resume regular service Monday between DC and Philadelphia after derailment in Harford County is cleared

Amtrak and MARC trains are set to resume regular schedules Monday after a Norfolk Southern freight train that derailed Saturday in Perryman in Harford County caused a flurry of delays and cancellations throughout the weekend.

The Maryland Transit Administration said some MARC train passengers might experience 10-15 minute delays between Aberdeen and Edgewood because of reduced operating speeds and single track operation.


On Saturday, 20 coal cars on a 130-car Norfolk Southern freight train derailed, causing major delays.

At least 20 train services on the Northeast Corridor were canceled or postponed. Amtrak advised customers who are traveling between New York and Washington, D.C., not to board their trains. All services between Washington and Philadelphia were temporarily suspended for Saturday and Sunday. Amtrak operated on a modified schedule between New York and Philadelphia until the tracks cleared.


Crews used cranes Saturday afternoon to remove the large overturned train cars that blocked less than a mile of tracks used by both passenger and freight trains. No one was injured when the 20 coal cars left the track around 2 a.m., said Connor Spielmaker, spokesman for Norfolk Southern. Spilled coal does not pose a threat to first responders or the surrounding community, he added.

Breaking News Alerts

Breaking News Alerts

As it happens

Be informed of breaking news as it happens and notified about other don't-miss content with our free news alerts.

The cause of the derailment is under investigation by Norfolk Southern, which owns the freight train that traveled on Amtrak’s track, Spielmaker said.

The Northeast Regional Service has two stops in the Baltimore area: one at Penn Station in Baltimore City and the other at BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport. MARC trains on the Penn Line from Baltimore to Washington were not affected by the incident and were operating normally.

Spokespersons for Harford County Sheriff’s Office and Aberdeen Police said Saturday that their agencies were not informed of the incident.

Michael Martineau had just boarded his train from Boston to Washington around 6:30 a.m. Saturday when he was alerted by Amtrak that his journey would end in Philadelphia.

Martineau planned to get off at Union Station in Washington to take a Silver Star Train to Petersburg, Virginia, to work as tournament staff at the USCAA Small College National Championships. With the second leg of his trip canceled, Martineau scrambled to find alternative transportation from Philadelphia. He eventually hitched a ride out of the city with a friend also working the tournament.

Baltimore Sun reporter McKenna Oxenden contributed to this article.