Baltimore City

'Everybody loved her': Woman whose body was found in Baltimore's Inner Harbor was 25-year-old Federal Hill resident

The City Dive Team found the body of woman in the Inner Harbor on Saturday. Police have identified her as Alexandra Carroll, 25.

Baltimore Police have identified the woman whose body was recovered Saturday morning from the Inner Harbor as 25-year-old Alexandra Carroll.

The Baltimore Police Department’s Marine Unit and Underwater Recovery Team pulled Carroll’s body from the harbor near the Maryland Science Center after a three-hour search Saturday morning.


Carroll was a Federal Hill resident, police spokesman Detective Jeremy Silbert said. She was an alumna of the University of Delaware and University of Maryland Baltimore, and worked at the University of Maryland Medical Center as a registered nurse, according to her LinkedIn profile.

Breanna Nicholson, a friend and former teammate on the University of Delaware’s track team, said Carroll had a magnetic personality and a gift for making her friends laugh.


“Everybody loved her — everybody on campus,” Nicholson said. “And I don’t know what it was about her but everybody wanted to be her friend.”

Silbert said no foul play was suspected.

“It appears that she drowned,” he said.

An autopsy by the the chief medical examiner’s office will determine her cause of death.

Carroll’s family could not be reached for comment Monday.

Her colleagues at the University of Maryland Medical Center mourned her loss.

“We are deeply saddened by the untimely loss of our valued friend and colleague. She will be remembered as an incredibly dedicated nurse with an infectious positive attitude with her patients and coworkers,” Lisa Rowen, chief nurse executive for the University of Maryland Medical System, said in a statement. “Our deepest sympathy is with her family during this very difficult time.”

A sprinter for Delaware’s track team all four years of her undergraduate career, Carroll competed in 400- and 800-meter events, said Wendy McFarlane-Smith, head coach of the university’s track team.


McFarlane-Smith remembered Carroll, who went by “Alex,” as a hard worker and a people person who loved running and got along well with her coaches and teammates.

“She took grace in whatever she did on the track and even in the classroom,” McFarlane-Smith said. “She was always very committed to what she did.”

Carroll’s 4x800-meter relay team set a school record, McFarlane-Smith said. And she took home a medal in the 4x400-meter relay at the Colonial Athletic Association track championship.

“That was the year we won the CAA championship in 2014, and she was a big part in making points for the team,” McFarlane-Smith said. “She went out of her college career with a bang.”

Nicholson, 25, met Carroll on Delaware’s track team, where she became one of her first college friends in a close-knit group.

“Track teams are big so that whoever you are mainly running with are who you really get closer to,” she said. “Outside of track we also were really close.”


She said Carroll had a knack for making her friends laugh — though it was not always intentional.

“Alex was really always high energy, always smiling, she was always the one to make everybody laugh,” Nicholson said. “She didn’t mean to be funny, but she was.”

Nicholson recalled a particularly hot meet in which their team competed in North Carolina. The sun was beating down, and a teammate braided Carroll’s hair into cornrows. On a dare, Carroll kept the style throughout the meet — and came out with a sunburned scalp.

“She was always doing silly thing like that and didn't care what other people thought,” Nicholson said. “She was a good sport about it.”

Outside of running, Nicholson said Carroll also enjoyed going to electronic dance music shows.


Carroll’s drowning was the latest in a series of incidents in which people have fallen into the Inner Harbor’s waters — some fatally.

On Feb. 15, an Inner Harbor Unit officer jumped in the water to rescue a man near the Barnes & Noble bookstore. And last February, a 26-year-old man from Vermont fell into the Inner Harbor and died in almost exactly the same spot.

His parents have since pushed the city to install railings and other safety measures around the waterfront.

In August, the city committed to spending about $125,000 to install safety equipment around the Inner Harbor, including 16 ladders and 35 emergency life ring stations targeted in areas near bars and with high foot traffic.

The city plans to add more ladders and rings in the spring, according to German Vigil, a transportation department spokesman.

Vigil said the city will add nine more safety rings and eight more ladders around the harbor in about mid-April. He said the transportation department is in conversations with the Waterfront Partnership to discuss how private property owners can improve the safety around their land.


“Rails have not come up in discussions,” Vigil said.

Breaking News Alerts

Breaking News Alerts

As it happens

Be informed of breaking news as it happens and notified about other don't-miss content with our free news alerts.

This second phase of safety measures includes:

» One ring at Tide Point water taxi pier;

» One ring and one ladder near Barnes & Noble, on the south side of the pedestrian bridge;

» One ring and one ladder around Fells Point;

» Six rings and six ladders along Anchorage Towers promenade.


Vigil said these upgrades will cost about $50,000.

Baltimore Sun reporters Jacques Kelly and Talia Richman contributed to this article.