The Housing Authority of the City of Annapolis announced its new executive director at Monday's City Council meeting.
Sharon Land, former deputy director of the organization, has been named incoming executive director by the HACA Board of Commissioners, said Jeffrey Henderson, commissioner chairman. Henderson also read a brief statement on Land's new position.
"Mrs. Land is a highly qualified individual. She is highly regarded by HUD and we are confident that she will bring the leadership that we need to keep our agency moving in the right direction."
Land will begin her new job Nov. 30. She was not present at the meeting. The previous executive director resigned almost two months ago — one of five to resign in the past few months.
The former executive director, Vincent Leggett, left the organization in September to pursue other opportunities. Also leaving were two board members, Richard Callahan and former Alderwoman Cynthia Carter, Director of Operations Sean Griffith and Victoria Garcia, Morris Blum housing manager.
HACA officials said those resignations are not connected.
Annapolis Mayor Mike Pantelides has raised concerns that the resignations reflect unrest within the organization. Pantelides will make appointments to the empty board of commissioners seats. His office has been taking applications.
In other business, the City Council held a public hearing on the Waterfront Maritime Conservation District. Supporters have said it makes the City Dock zoning area more competitive with the other commercial zones. The legislation would establish a 40 percent minimum for maritime activity at each property, while allowing retail and restaurant businesses to build in the other 60 percent.
Current zoning law doesn't have a maritime minimum, but each retail or restaurant project is limited to 30 percent of floor space.
Opponents of the legislation say the changes pose a risk to maritime activity along City Dock and don't do enough to attract maritime businesses.
The council extended the public hearing on the legislation until Nov. 23.