Pair burned when woman dozes off while smoking, using oxygen

A Deale couple suffered burns after a fire started when the wife fell asleep while smoking and using home oxygen early Thursday morning, according to an Anne Arundel County Fire spokesman.

The incident was reported at 5:26 a.m. in the 5000 block of Deale Churchton Road, said the spokesman, Capt. James Rostek.

The woman suffered serious and life-threatening burns and was flown to the regional burn unit at Washington Hospital Center, he said.

Her husband had minor burns and was taken to Anne Arundel Medical Center for treatment, Rostek said.

The blaze was confined to the bed and the people who were burned, he said.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad