Severn man charged with murder released on bail

The family of a slain Severn man expressed shock after a judge set bail and freed the man charged in his killing, infuriating prosecutors who said they weren't notified until after the fact.

"We're scared — he's still out there," said Hilda Chan, 38, whose brother was shot Aug. 6. "To us, [the suspect] is a very dangerous person. He is not afraid to kill," she said.

On Aug. 17, police arrested James William King, 26, of Severn in the shooting of Calvin Chi Man Yeung, 40, who suffered a bullet wound in the upper body while sitting in his car at a traffic signal on Telegraph Road and Route 100. When King was arrested, police said he may have been motivated by road rage.

King, who has an extensive record of traffic violations and has also been prosecuted for drug offenses, trespassing, theft and burglary, was released from the Jennifer Road Detention Center Friday after posting bond, according to electronic court records.

King's attorney filed for a second bail review Sept. 2 and he was released the next day — a county furlough day and the beginning of the Labor Day holiday weekend, when county offices were closed.

Kristin Fleckenstein, spokeswoman for the Anne Arundel County state's attorney's office, said prosecutors weren't notified until this week, after King's release. She said a motion has since been filed to rescind his bail in District Court.

"This guy was on the streets by the time we found out," she said, adding that "it's rare" for someone to make bail when he faces a first-degree murder charge.

King's attorney, Peter O'Neill, disagreed, saying "the judge issued a bond and released him"; it depends on the circumstances, he said.

He said this was "a standard bail review. It's not unusual — something judges do routinely."

Police said King shot Yeung as he sat at the light, causing his car to strike the support wall of the Route 100 overpass. He was taken to Baltimore Washington Medical Center, where he died of his injuries.

Chan said the father of two, a 10-year-old and an 8-year-old, "was about to go pick up his wife," who was helping a friend out at a nearby restaurant. He worked as a communications engineer for Mobilis, she said.

"He was a very talented person. Loyal to his company," Chan said. "At home, he is a good son," she said, adding that he took care of his parents, with whom he lived. She said the family emigrated from Hong Kong together when Yeung was 20 years old.

"Most of his personal time he spent at home," she said, with his family or working around the house. He was building a deck.

"We miss him badly," she said, saying that her mother continues to cook meals for Yeung as if he was still there. "He's the soul of the family," she said.

She said he did not know King, and the family is "concerned what he might do."

King is charged with first-degree murder, assault, reckless endangerment and two other counts.

  • Text NEWS to 70701 to get Baltimore Sun local news text alerts
  • Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad